Eastern Michigan women's basketball team defeats WMU, 67-56

A 23-point performance by Tavelyn James led the Eastern Michigan University women’s basketball team to a 67-56 win over the Western Michigan Broncos (5-13, 1-4 MAC) on Wednesday.

Cassie Schrock added 20 points, seven rebounds and six steals.

De’Ja Wills pitched in with nine points on three-of-five from beyond the arc.

Kristin Thomas cleaned up the boards with eight rebounds for the Eagles.

It was a sea-saw battle in which the two teams exchanged the lead eight times and found themselves tied five times over the course of the game.

The Eagles (12-7, 3-2 MAC) connected on 24-of-55 of their shot attempts for a 43.6 percent shooting average. However, the Broncos were held to 32.7 percent from the field making 17-of-52 attempts.

EMU took the first strike as Schrock deflected a pass by the Broncos, setting the stage for a fast-break jumper by James. Sydney Huntley-Rodgers added two free-throws on the next play, which gave the Eagles a 4-0 lead.

With 3:50 remaining in the opening half, Miame Giden would sink a layup and attempt a three-point play for WMU, however the Eagles grabbed the rebound and Schrock finished it with a layup on the other end.

The Broncos took their first lead of the game with 7:20 left in the half after a buzzer-beating three-pointer by Taylor Manley, putting them up 18-17. The Eagles responded and took the lead again with a three-pointer by Wills that gave them a 22-20 lead and they held on to that lead as they went into the locker room with a 26-25 advantage.

Manley led the way for the Broncos with 15 points. Ebony Cleary followed close behind, adding 11 points and five rebounds. Kemmy Dominique also added six rebounds and four steals off the bench.

The Eagles snapped their recent drought of three-pointers, connecting on five-of-eight from the arch for 62.5 percent in the second half, and 33.3 percent (6-for-18) on the game.

After four minutes of second half action, the score was tied at 31 points apiece. Then a steal by Thomas turned into a pair of free-throws for James and a 10-0 run for EMU. The run featured a three-pointer by James followed by a three-point play by Thomas as the Eagles took a 41-31 lead with 14:38 remaining.

The Broncos came within eight points, however, the Eagles took off and never gave in as they led by as many as 13 points before soaring to a 67-56 victory.

EMU will suit up next to face off with the Akron Zips in a cross-divisional matchup. Tipoff is set for 5 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 22 in Akron, Ohio.