WORLD NEWS EGYPT 1 LA

Iran could be lesson for Egypt's protesters

Feb. 11 marks the 32nd anniversary of the Islamic Republic government in Iran. After a year of strikes and protests paralyzed the country, The Shah left Iran, and days later the Islamic Republic of Iran came to be out of the many parties revolting against The Shah.

In this theocratic government, ultimate political authority was invested in Ayatollah Khomeini, the supreme leader. There are also executive, judicial and legislative branches, but each member is screened prior to voting or is chosen by the supreme leader.

The distribution of power and the consent of the governed is what the people of Iran fought for in 1979, but its manifestations are a hoax and the people are fighting to remove what became of that revolution.

A successful overthrow of a previous government makes a new political structure possible, but that is not the end. Around the world, as it was in Iran, the results of a revolution may not be what the people fought for.

“Tunisia is the solution” is a chant that has been heard in Egypt and is commonly accepted as the spark that ignited the Egyptian revolution.

Tunisia’s revolution was successful as far as overthrowing former President Zine el Abidine Ben Ali, but we have yet to determine whether the people will get genuine democratic reform.

Temporary President Mohamed Ghannouchi, who had served as Prime Minister for Ben Ali, may have been placed in power to keep an elite group of decision makers in their position. There are still sporadic protests, strict curfews and violence in the streets of Tunisia, though much of this is not covered by the ever-churning media.

We in America may turn toward the next spark, idea or phenomenon made easy to follow by the media and our attention will be led away from the toils for freedom taking place in Africa and Asia.

From the very beginning of the most recent protests in Iran, the government did its best to deter The Green Movement by systematically limiting and eliminating Internet access and cell phone service, which were the means of unification in the streets and communication to the outer world.

Last June, we saw many images and Tweets from the streets of Iran thanks to some hardworking people. Communication was kept relatively steady by personal hackers and information transition masterminds from both inside the country and globally.

Then came June 25 and the controversial death of Michael Jackson, ushering in the newest media frenzy and the thin connection to the people of Iran was snapped.

Egypt’s cell phone services and social networks remain intact and are key for us to see what is actually going on in the streets. We have constant access to the situation in Egypt now, which is essential for the Egyptian people.

Just like the students at the Democratic National Convention in 1968 with their chant “The whole world is watching!”, Egypt is relying on support from the outside world to keep things civil as they further their journey to freedom.

With the trend of revolution in the area, I believe we may stay interested even if an unfortunate death of a musical great occurs.
I recall the 31st anniversary of the Islamic Republic in Iran. I was hopeful that protest would erupt and necessary attention would be returned to the waning operations of the Green Movement.

Protests were attempted, but with the attacks on cell phone service and the beating and dispersing of protesters, America got the wrong idea. That day news coverage was successfully taken from the people by a statement from Ahmadinejad and staged celebrations of the anniversary.

Poor and ignorant masses were bussed in and attracted by freebies to multiply to appear as if they supported the Islamic Republic. It was then that the president told the world Iran was now a nuclear state.

That well-choreographed event was successful in preventing John Stewart and Stephen Colbert from informing the masses about the real atmosphere in Iran on that day and the power structure in Iran became all the more solid.

This year, the Islamic Republic’s opposition has grown a little wiser. They have requested to hold solidarity rallies for Egypt and Tunisia on Feb. 14, a day America spends hopped up on love or sulking due to a lack thereof.

There has been no reply to this request, I fear brutality will be the awaiting response for the people who protest on that day, and I hope their toils will not go unnoticed. As a battle ensues in Egypt, Tunisian efforts at freedom persist and inspired events in Jordan, Algeria, Libya, Yemen, Sudan, Lebanon, Oman, Morocco, Mauritius and the Gaza strip unravel -one hopes these struggles remain in our hearts, and bring about the representation and freedom these diverse peoples have been denied of for so long.