recyclinggraphic

On-campus recycling increases 'nearly 3 %'

In a recent release, the Eastern Michigan University Physical Plant announced a “nearly 3 percent” recycling rate improvement in 2010.

According to the release, EMU recycled 263 tons of waste in 2010, which is a 97-ton improvement from 2009.
Junior Misty Morin recycles whenever it is most convenient.

“I do when it’s nearby, or whichever is the nearest thing to me,” Morin said.

“We’re really proud of the movement,” said Steven Moore, energy and sustainability manager at EMU. “It wouldn’t be possible without the help of students and faculty.”

Moore was appointed the university’s first energy and sustainability manager three years ago as a part of EMU’s attempt to become more environmentally friendly.

As Moore took the job and looked closer into the ecological habits of the community, he found a lot of misconceptions among both students and faculty.

“There was a lot of misinformation,” Moore said.

To solve the problem, the Physical Plant began tracking the recycling efforts of the University starting in 2009. They also purchased recycling bins for all of the buildings.

Freshman Bryant Schoenle has been using the bins more frequently.

“I’ve been using those now they’re easier to find and more obvious,” Schoelne said.
Moore also began contests at the residence halls on campus to help raise awareness about EMU’s recycling program.

Recyclethon is a yearly contest between buildings to see who can increase their recycling rates the most within the span of one month.

Another competition the Physical Plant sponsors is Energy Idol, in which students compete for title of “greenest student.” Students submit materials explaining how he or she lives an energy-efficient and sustainable life both on and off campus.

In addition to holding competitions, Moore also writes EMU Today notes on what is going on with the EMU recycling program.

Recycling stations were also put up in every building, to accompany the recycling bins and make them more visible to the public.

EMU’s current overall recycling rate is 9.7 percent, which is about half of the benchmark 20 percent.
When asked how he thinks EMU compares to other Michigan universities, Moore said: “I think we’re probably average.”

Morin, a psychology major, thinks EMU is doing a “great job.”

“Better than Michigan State,” Morin said.

Dietetics-major Schoelne agrees, but would guess EMU is “about the same” as other universities.
“I think we’re doing pretty well,” Schoelne said.

To continue to improve EMU’s recycling, Moore plans to increase the recycling program’s visibility at athletic events.

“We’re at the football games, but we’d like to expand that to other athletic events,” Moore said.
Moore also wants to continue to work with building administrators to make sure recycling bins are in proper locations.

To help with EMU’s recycling and green efforts, Moore encourages students to make use of the recycle bins correctly.

Any food waste inside the recycling bins ruins the entire bin’s effort, Moore said.
“Make sure recycling stays clean.”

Senior Kyle Evans thinks the university still has some work to do.

“Making the stations more noticeable and numerous,” is a way Evans, a literature, language and writing major, thinks the university could improve.

Students can get the latest on the University’s recycling efforts on their website www.emich.edu/physplant/recycling or by following them on Twitter @EMUGreen.