Wins against Toledo, CMU critical for MAC seeding

The next four days will be no walk in the park for the Eastern Michigan University women’s basketball team.

With games against the University of Toledo and Central Michigan University, the Eagles are looking at the toughest week of their schedule.

Along with a win against Temple, victories this week would be the team’s greatest accomplishment of the season.

EMU is coming off of a 30-point victory over Northern Illinois University last Saturday, which should give them a foundation and momentum to build from.
The team is 7-0 on the road in conference games this season.

If you’re new to the Mid-American Conference tournament, this is how it works: Each team in the conference earns a seed based on their conference record.

If two teams in the same division end up with the same record, the team that won the regular season series or holds the most relevant tie breaker gets the higher seed.

The top four teams in the entire conference get a first-round bye (meaning they automatically advance to the second round). Teams No. 5-12 faceoff at the home court of the highest seeds.

The winner of the tournament will be crowned the MAC champion and earn a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

On Wednesday, February 23rd the Eagles played the Toledo Rockets that lead the Mid-American Conference West Division with a 12-1 conference record.

With a win against Toledo, the Eagles would advance to 10-4 in the MAC.

EMU will remain on the road for the weekend as they head to Mount Pleasant on Saturday, where they will face off with the Chippewas.

Should the Eagles and Chippewas head into this weekend’s match tied, the Eagles would need to beat CMU more than any other team remaining on their schedule.

A win over Central would mean the difference between a first-round bye or playing at home to open up the tournament .

Earlier this season the Chippewas beat the Eagles at home 76-67.

With a win against Toledo and CMU, the Eagles would hold the No. 2 seed in the MAC West and likely No. 3 or No. 4 seed in the MAC heading into their last regular season game.

Last season left the Eagles with the No. 5 seed and hosted the opening round against No. 12 Buffalo. The team went on to face Akron, which eliminated them with a 72-46 victory.