'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' sequel hopes to be another smash hit

“Sucker Punch”

Starring: Emily Browning, Vanessa Hudgens, Abbie Cornish; Directed by: Zack Snyder

Snyder’s latest epic follows five imprisoned young women as they struggle to escape their dark realities using their imaginations. Babydoll (Browning) is the leader of their crew as they try to battle their way through their dreamscapes to gain their freedom.

This director has a history of creating visually stunning, if other wise somewhat lacking, films of epic proportions. We’ll see if his first venture into writing can match up to the film that started it all: “300.”

“Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules”

Starring: Zachary Gordon, Devon Bostick, Robert Capron; Direected by David Bowers

The sequel to the original “Diary of a Wimpy Kid,” which was a surprise smash last year, “Rodrick Rules” follows the coolest wimp around (Gordon) as his mother forces him to bond with big brother Rodrick (Bostick). Trouble brews in the form of the hero trying to charm his crush and try to keep his secrets as his brother blackmails him.

The original film had mixed reviews from sites like Rotten Tomatoes but won over the heart of the likes of Roger Ebert and had the biggest opening weekend for a non-animated, non-fantasy kid’s book. Maybe “Rodrick” can receive the same warm welcome.

At the Student Center: “Tron: Legacy”

8 and 10:30 p.m.

Starring: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde; Directed by: Joseph Kosinski

The sequel to the 1980’s cult classic follows the original hero, Kevin Flynn’s (Bridges), son Sam (Hedlund) as he investigates Kevin’s disappearance. Sam finds himself in the digital killing fields that his father developed and has been trapped in. The father/son duo team up with Quorra (Wilde) to try to escape.

This visual stunner opened to mediocre reviews but can be a fun ride, especially when on the big screen.