EMU’s Jenna Ignowski almost pitched another no-hitter after a hitless first game. EMU defeated Toldeo 7-0 and 13-1 during Saturday’s games.

EMU softball overtakes Toledo in double-header

The Eastern Michigan University softball team swept a double-header, 7-0 and 13-1, Saturday over Toledo.

After a hitless first game, Jenna Ignowski came close to another no-hitter this weekend, but the Rockets were able to get one hit in the first inning of the second game.
Seven EMU hitters recorded at least one hit in the opening game with Lindsay Smith’s 3-for-3 performance leading the way.

Smith scored once, stole one base and brought in one run in the Eagles’ victory. Jessica Richards added three hits for the Eagles, which included three RBI as she also recorded her ninth stolen base.

The Eagles are 19-7 and 6-2 in the Mid-American Conference; they have tied last season’s win total. The Rockets are 5-28 and 1-7.

EMU came out strong, getting off to two quick scores in the first inning. Richards singled through the left side to steal second base and was moved to third on a ground out, setting up the RBI single for Sarah Gerber to give the Eagles a 1-0 advantage.

The Eagles’ lead was expanded to 2-0 after McKenna Russ turned in her seventh double of the season as she scored Gerber from first. EMU got its third run of the game as Smith found herself on second and a double by Richards allowed her to score.

Both teams went scoreless in the third inning and a four-hit frame put the Eagles up by five at the end of the fourth inning.

An RBI from Kaylee Tolliver brought in Courtney Nicholson.

The Eagles turned in two addition runs in the sixth inning as they walked away with a 7-0 victory in the first game.

The Eagles continued to dominate in the second game as every player on their roster earned a hit and five players recorded multiple hits. Each player in the EMU lineup had at least one of their hits in the first inning when the Eagles scored all 13 of their points on 11 runs and two Toledo errors.

Nellie Coquillard led the way for EMU with two hits and a career-high five RBI as well as her second home run of the season.

A ground out and a walk put runners at first and second for the Eagles, and a double steal by Richards and Stacie Skodinski moved them both up a base. Gerber reached on an error, giving Richards the opportunity to score and advanced Skodinski to third base.

Russ posted her second double of the day to right center field and gave the Eagles a 3-0 lead.

Tolliver hit a one-out double, waving around Russ and putting EMU up by four. Then, with runners at second and third, Coquillard hit a three-run home run behind the fence at left center.

Lauren Wells (6-1) went five innings. A left hander, she struck out seven and walked one while holding Toledo to three hits.

The Rockets were able to bring in one run in the second inning, but the deficit proved to be too much for them to overcome as the Eagles took the 13-1 win.

Saturday’s sweep was one of two for EMU this weekend. The Eagles took two wins against Bowling Green (1-0, 4-1) in a double header Friday.

The Eagles will remain at home when they play Oakland University at 3 p.m. tomorrow.