Basketball is favored to win MAC tourney

Hoops season is right around the corner, which means it’s time to get ready for the Eastern Michigan University women’s basketball team.

The Eagles are coming off of a 24-13 season that ended with a trip to the WNIT Sweet Sixteen, where the Eagles lost 72-63 to the Orange of Syracuse University. This season, the Eagles come in as favorites to win the Mid-American Conference title.

Last season the Eagles were runner-up in the MAC tournament to the Bowling Green Falcons, and I look for them to win the MAC for the first time since 2004.

The Eagles’ highlight game this year would have to be their trip to East Lansing, where they will play the Michigan State Spartans on Dec. 3. This could be the early season game the Eagles need to test how good they can be this season.

It will be fourth-year coach Ann Marie Gilbert’s first trip back home since coming to EMU after serving as an assistant coach for the Spartans for five years.

The Eagles also play the University of Michigan on Dec. 11 at the Convocation Center. The Eagles beat the Wolverines 67-59 in the first Round of the WNIT last season, and the Wolverines will be coming in looking for revenge so the Eagle have to be prepared.

One of the main reasons I believe the Eagles will be so good is the return of senior guard Tavelyn James.

She earned a spot on the women’s USA team that played in the Pan American games. She is the first Eagle and the first student-athlete from the MAC to be on Team USA.

When you have a player like James, it elevates the team as a whole. Last season she averaged 17.4 points, and I look for her to build upon that this season. She was also selected first team All-MAC and set scoring records for the Eagles. EMU is going to need her to play at a high level if it wants to win the MAC title and get an NCAA Tournament spot, but she isn’t going to be able to do it alone.

With second- and third-leading scorers Cassie Schrock and Sydney Huntley gone, there go 25 points per game. I look for senior forward Paige Redditt to step up and help James with scoring. Last season she averaged 9.5 points and 6.1 rebounds.

In order for this team to do well, other players are going to have to step up and help James.

The season starts Nov. 11 when the Eagles play at the Northeastern Huskies in Boston.

The home opener is on Nov. 14 when the Marygrove Mustangs come to the Convocation Center.

I am excited to see if the Eagles can win the MAC and get a spot in the NCAA Tournament.