EMU's ban on medical marijuana: is the right thing to do

At first glance, Eastern Michigan University’s ban of medicinal marijuana on campus might appear to be unfairly opposing the general public of Michigan. After considering the standpoint of the Board of Regents, it becomes clear why EMU has decided to follow in the footsteps of schools like Michigan State and University of Michigan by enacting such a policy.

It’s fairly difficult to find a college or university charging less than $10,000 per year for tuition, but EMU has managed to keep its costs in this bracket. Many students attending this university receive Pell grants, Stafford loans and scholarships, among other funds, to pay for schooling.

In order to keep tuition affordable while still maintaining the campus, EMU depends partially on the federal government for funding. For this reason among others, the Board of Regents made the right decision in supporting this ban despite Michigan’s Medical Marijuana Act of 2008.

While it’s true the state of Michigan has decided to allow medicinal marijuana use, the laws of the federal government oppose such legislation. Laws like the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989 clearly display the federal government’s belief that this substance has no place on a college campus.

Legality is a weak argument in this case, because a college campus doesn’t operate merely on what is legal, but also what is the most beneficial for students, especially those living on campus.

Although alcohol is legal in this country at the age of 21, alcoholic beverages might only be consumed at university functions where this is allowed or in the rooms of legal-aged students in the residence halls.

EMU realizes the authority of the federal government in this case, which is evident in cases outside of the university. In the state of California marijuana dispensaries are allowed, but the Drug Enforcement Administration can still raid such buildings due to federal bans.

At this point, the issue has little to do with whether or not such a ban is fair, but if it lines up with the goals of the university. As a college campus, the main goals include student success through graduation and minimal disciplinary instances.

Although medical marijuana use is lawful for those who hold a permit in the state of Michigan, allowing medical marijuana on campus would make it easier for those without a permit to obtain this illegal substance.

While students might still find a way to purchase drugs without fraudulent permit holders selling their prescriptions, there is no reason EMU should make this easier.

It is undeniable cannabis causes damage to organs including the lungs and brain. It also increases forgetfulness and slows reflexes. There might be students on campus with a license, but the majority do not.

As long as medicinal marijuana patients have alternatives, such as using their prescription before stepping on campus, there should be no problem.

EMU has made the right decision with this ban in order to continue to have federal funding, which is a priority due to a large number of students requiring financial aid and scholarships.

Without help from the federal government, it would be more difficult for several students to attend this university, which should be EMU’s main concern.