Football runs in linebacker's blood

Perhaps one of the first questions that pops into the minds of some Eastern Michigan University football fans is if Marcus English is related to coach Ron English.

The answer to that question would be a quick “no.” But what is not questioned about the senior linebacker is his drive and determination.

Marcus English was born in Dayton, Ohio, and growing up, he wanted to play football because of family tradition.

“It runs in the family,” said English, who is listed at 6-foot-1 and 228 pounds. “My father, grandfather and uncles played football so it kind of runs in the blood.”

He attended Trotwood-Madison High School, northwest of Dayton. While there, English not only played football but was also a member of the basketball and track and field teams. He lettered in track and football his junior and senior years and was named to the academic honor roll.

In his senior season, English recorded 56 tackles, two interceptions, four sacks and three fumble recoveries to earn him All-league and All-area honors. After his senior year, he decided on playing football for EMU.

“It’s in close proximity to my hometown,” English said about his choice of school. “When I came on my visit, I just liked the morale and the feel for this school.”

English was redshirted his freshman year in 2007 but still practiced with the team. In 2008, he started all 12 games on special teams, recording three tackles during the season to earn his first varsity letter.

English played in only six games in 2009 because of injury but did have 41 tackles and a fumble recovery.

Last season, English played in seven games, making six starts.

But injury struck him again and took him out for the rest of the season. He made 37 tackles with 2 1/2 tackles for a loss of six yards. In the game against Toledo, he forced a fumble and had 10 tackles.

With the EMU football team on its way to a winning record during Marcus English’s time at EMU, he hopes to end his career on a high note and fondly look back on the friendships he has built with his teammates.

“We’re very close,” English said. “Just like brothers we work well together and bond with each other really fast.”

English is among 17 seniors. Being a senior makes him one of the players the underclassmen look up to for leadership on the field, especially on the defensive side.

“He’s one of the smartest players on defense,” junior running back Dominique Sherrer said. “He’s able to handle the game physically and mentally.”

Heading into the bye week, Marcus has played in five games and started in four. English has 32 tackles, four of them for a loss, one sack and one fumble recovery.