Iaquaniello consistent, really kills at the net

Rachel Iaquaniello is a name that stands out on the Eastern Michigan University volleyball team’s roster for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is her dominance at the net.

“I love hitting,” Iaquaniello said. “It’s the best feeling ever when you get that big kill, it’s seriously the best feeling ever! That’s the best part.”

Not only does she love it, but Iaquaniello has mastered the skill. In the Eagles’ 14 matches this season, she has slammed down a team-high 197 kills and holds a .219 hitting percentage. Her 17 services aces (.35 per set) is also a team-high so it’s almost expected that she has contributed more points (220) than any other Eagle.

On the defensive side of the ball, Iaquaniello has also put up stellar numbers this season. She is third on the team in digs, recording 155 to go along with 11 blocks.

The Dearborn, Mich. native first played volleyball in the sixth grade and, since then, has not been able to let go of the opportunity to compete.

“It’s a very skillful sport and you can get very competitive on and off the court,” Iaquaniello said when asked why she chose to play volleyball. “The girls are very fun. It’s a very high energy sport.”

Iaquaniello has one sister, Maria, who plays basketball for Western Michigan University, and a brother, Joseph.

Iaquaniello graduated from Dearborn Divine Child High School, where she was a four-year letter winner and holds, not only the school record but also the Michigan High School Athletic Association record with 670 kills in a season. She also holds the school record in kills in a career with 1,345.

After her senior season, Iaquaniello was selected first-team All-State, Michigan Interscholastic Volleyball Coaches Association All-Region, All-Catholic League and Academic All-State while also being tabbed as one of the top-10 players in the Metro-Detroit area by The Detroit News.

When it came time to decide on where to further her education, Iaquaniello looked at a number of Mid-American Conference schools, as well as schools in the Horizon League. But, after coming to EMU for her visit she knew that it was the right place for her to be.

“There’s a very strong support system,” Iaquaniello said. “Taking my tour around campus, all the different offices we went to visit it seemed like everyone supported EMU and had a great reputation here. The girls on the team are awesome, it’s kind of like having a bunch of sisters all the time in the locker room, so it’s a fun atmosphere.”

And certainly she fit right in with the Eagles squad. In her freshman season, Iaquaniello started in all of the team’s 33 matches and finished with a team-high 412 kills, which was also good for the third-best single-season total in program history. She finished third on the team in digs with 286 and led the team in service aces as she posted 23 on the season. In the end, she was named to the 2009 Freshman All-MAC Team.

“She’s a really consistent player,” teammate Kristen Baker said of Iaquaniello. “She’s always going hard, always there and she’s just a great teammate.”

Last season, Iaquaniello finished with a total of 515 kills, which was good for third in the MAC and second in the record books for EMU. She finished second on the team for service aces and posted 305 digs and 32 blocks. Iaquaniello was named MAC player of the week twice last season, as well as to the MAC first-team.

“Off the court she lays low and that helps because she doesn’t bring anything extra onto the court, she can just go with the flow of the team,” Baker said.

When she’s not on the volleyball court, Iaquaniello enjoys going for runs, reading books, watching movies, doing arts and craft projects and just hanging out with her teammates, with whom she has built a strong relationship.

“Everybody gets along with everybody,” Iaquaniello said. “I can find a problem or if I’m bored I can turn to anyone on the team and find what I’m looking for, we don’t really have any cliques, we’re just kind of one big group; it works really well.”

She might only be able to snap her fingers with her left hand, despite being right-handed, but Iaquaniello has a hidden talent: rapping.

“We call her Rapper-Ra,” Baker said. “She likes to rap to Eminem and bust a move.”

So far this season, Iaquaniello has started in each of the squad’s 18 matches and leads the team with 251 kills (.200 hitting percentage), 21 service aces and 279 points. She has blocked a total of 13 hits so far and her 183 digs this season are good for second on the team.

Iaquaniello’s efforts this season have not gone unnoticed as the junior has already been named MAC west offensive player of the week as well as MAC female scholar of the week.

Check out the YouTube video of Iaquaniello on The Eastern Echo’s YouTube page.