James comes home

Eagle returns in time to take position as team captain

Eastern Michigan University’s Tavelyn James went 5-of-6 from the three-point line, scoring 19 points and grabbing seven rebounds to go with five assists in her last game with the USA women’s basketball team Monday.

James started every game for the USA team in Guadalajara, Mexico, for the 2011 Pan American Games. She shot 50 percent from the 3-point line for the entire tournament, which was the second-best average at the 2011 Pan Am games.

“The experience playing in the Pan Am Games was wonderful,” James said. “I was thankful to represent the USA and play with other good basketball players from our country.”

Now it’s time for James to return to basketball at EMU with her teammates and coach AnnMarie Gilbert.

“It feels amazing to be home,” James said. “This experience has showed me how blessed I am to be an American citizen.”

Gilbert said she is excited for James to take on her new role as captain this year. She said James jumpstarts the offense and is a leader on defense as well.

“We want to be in the NCAA Tournament,” Gilbert said. “We want to make it and get a
win. It would be nice to get there in Tavelyn’s senior year.”

James’ set the EMU single-season record for points in a season as a junior, scoring 642, breaking her own single-season record of 641 from the season before.

James and the USA team finished 2-2 in group play, losing the first two games in international play. They lost in the first game to Argentina, 58-55, Friday. They also lost to Puerto Rico, 75-70, Saturday, knocking them out of contention for a medal.

“I think the team bonded well together for us to have only been together for seven days,” James said. “We fought and played as a team throughout the Pan Am games. I played well on a team with a lot of well-rounded players. I can say being able to start for USA during the Pan Am games is a pretty great accomplishment for me and shows how good of player I really am.”

The USA team turned things around when it defeated Mexico in the third game, 87-58, Sunday night at the CODE Dome in Guadalajara, Mexico. Team USA finished the Pan Am games seventh, defeating Jamaica in its final game Monday morning.

James said transitioning from college ball to international play wasn’t a big deal.
“The difference between international ball and college ball is that the girls are a little bit more physical and the ball is different,” James said. “Other than that, there isn’t really too much of a difference.”

Gilbert said each year James has been with the team she has grown as a player and as a person.

“She has learned to be a team player,” Gilbert said. “She wouldn’t be where she is at without her players and coaches. I always tell her the team members are just as important as her. Everyone is valuable to the team.”

James even received constructive criticism on her game that could help her improve as a player.

“For me, my coaches believe that I have the talent to play professional, but I have to perfect my point-guard skills,” James said. “I also have to be able to play the point guard and shooting guard position.”