EMU wrestling in midst of Midlands Championship

Eastern Michigan University entered the the 49th Annual Midlands tournament with nine of its top wrestlers while the Midlands tournament prepared a tournament of top competition.

Taking place in Evanston, Illinois at Northwestern University, EMU has held moderate success through the tournament. Five of EMU’s wrestlers are still in competition for the championship brackets, while four other members have the opportunity to participate during the third place tournament.

Beginning with Jared Germaine, who participated in the 125-pound weight class, defeating Stanford’s Evan Silver and winning the match with a unanimous-decision victory. Following that victory, Germaine advanced to the following rounds with a 7-5 victory over Princeton’s Garrett Frey, following. Germaine needs three more victories to claim the first bracket as he is the only Eagle to participate in the 125-pound bracket.

With ten separate weight classes holding separate tournaments, EMU has wrestlers participating in eight of the ten. Corey Phillips and Seth Schaner will be participating in the 141-pound weight tournament.

Phillips began taking on Derrick Russell of Bucknell University, earning a 9-2 decision victory, but lost to No.1 ranked Montell Marion. Moving to the third place bracket to face the winner of a match which has yet to take place.

Schaner, also in the 141-pound weight class, opened the tournament strong early in the 141-pound weight class as well. He took an 8-1 decision over Alex Manley of Stanford. Schaner would go on to lose to 11th ranked Bebeto Yewah, dropping Schaner down to the third place bracket, where he will face the winner of a match which has yet to take place.

EMU had great success during the 155-pound weight division as Aaron Sulzer took an early victory over Ty Loethen of Northern Illinois. Sulzer will now face Ramon Santiago of Rider University, which will determine the upcoming semifinalist of the 155-pound Midlands Championship.

EMU began to lose steam during the 165-pound weight class, as Lester France took on Corey Lear of Bucknell University. Lear took the victory over France, sending France to the third place bracket, where he will face Tyler Johnson of North Dakota State University.

EMU’s Andrew Novak dropped his decision against Joe Waltko of Clarion University. Nivak will look to bounce back in the third place bracket as he faces University of Winsconson’s Matthew Kelliher tommorow.

Tomorrow EMU will look to come back and end the tournament on a high note after the 174-pound weight division. EMU’s only representative, Phillip Joseph took a decisive victory over Drake Stein of Princeton University. Morris will now wrestle Northern Illinois, Caleb Busson.

Tomorrow EMU will have two representatives in the 285-pound division, who each have had a bye in the tournament. Beginning with David Box who will face off against David Devine of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, while 12th Ranked Wes Schroeder will face Blayne Beale of Northern Illinois University.

EMU currently has five wrestlers who are still competing for their respective championships of their weight classes. Four wrestlers have yet to compete and the rest of the tournament will continue tomorrow, December 30th at Northwestern University in Evanston Illinois.