Eagles hope to continue win streak

After winning seven games in a row, the Eastern Michigan University women’s basketball team has become a force to reckoned with.

Head coach AnneMarie Gilbert’s team now has an overall record of 19-7 after defeating the Northern Illinois Huskies on Jan. 18 at DeKalb, Illinois by a score of 77-57.

The Eagles return home Feb. 21 to take on the Toledo Rockets. The Eagles have won their last eight home games, and the chances of them letting a loss at home slip through their fingers are slim to none.

The Toledo Rockets also have a great record, with 18 wins and only seven losses. The last time the two teams faced off against each other, the Eagles came out on top in Toledo by a score of 70-66.

Toledo’s lead scorers are Andola Dortch and Yolanda Richardson, who have a big role in pulling down rebounds for the Rockets.

The Rockets have won their past ten games. The team averages 38.3 rebounds and a field goal shooting percentage of 42.9.

Tavelyn James has been the lead scorer for the Eagles in almost every game. Natachia Watkins has also been a lead scorer. Olivia Fouty and Paige Redditt dominate the paint and are able to pull down rebounds.

The Eagles have an average field goal shooting percentage of 41.4, lower than the Rocket’s percentage. The team also has a free throw percentage of 69.7. The Eagles grab an average of 42 rebounds and score an average of 71 points per game.

In order for the Eagles to win, they need to play how they did when they traveled to Toledo. EMU will have to step up its shooting game behind the arc and in the paint in order to defeat the Rockets.

The Rockets will need to step it up and guard Tavelyn James to the best of their ability, and out-rebound Fouty and Redditt and control the paint.

Toledo came close to winning the last game, and the Eagles will have to make sure they don’t come close again.

The Eagles and Rockets will face off at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the Convocation Center.