EMU Football recruitment

Coach English encouraged by results

Feb. 1 was a day of joy and celebration for the Eastern Michigan football team and coach Ron English.

After being able to graciously celebrate six victories last season, EMU rejoiced this time without a single down of football being played.

“We gained 21 of the 22 positions,” English said, the 2012 Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year. “We took everything but a quarterback. So I like the balance part of it.”

Feb. 1 meant National Signing Day, the first day prep football players can sign National Letters of Intent to their desired colleges.

EMU gained commitments from 20 high school football players and four junior college athletes, all of which hope to make an immediate impact next year for the Eagles.

English recruited players from all around the country. Nine states are represented in the 2012 recruiting class, with a majority of the recruits hailing from the state of Ohio. Other states include Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Arizona, California, Florida and Hawaii.

“I think that the better we get, the more kids we’ll get from the Midwest,” English said. “Particularly close to home.”

One of the most intriguing statistics of this class is the number of junior college players committed to the Eagles. Linebacker Tim Brown (6-foot-0,235), defensive tackles Travis Linser (6-4, 250) and Cy Maughmer (6-2, 290) and safety Mycal Swaim (6-4, 205) are all transferring to EMU after stints at other colleges.

Linser and Maughmer have already enrolled in classes at EMU and are expected to have a significant role for the defense next season.

“We hope that the defensive linemen can come in here and help us,” English said. “We believe that they can. Nowadays, a lot of young players are playing everywhere.”

On the offensive side of the ball, EMU brought in three physically mature wide
receivers. Dustin Creel (6-2, 205), Mitchell Dawkins (6-2, 205) and Quincy Jones (6-3, 195) will all look to make an immediate impact for the Eagles in the fall.
“We’re looking for certain body types at certain positions,” English said. “And we certainly want to be a big, physical football team … the receivers are physically mature and I think they’re going to have a chance.”

Perhaps the most notable recruit of the class is running back Juwan Lewis (5-10, 208) from high school football powerhouse Muskegon. Lewis is rated a three-star prospect by Scout.com.

“He breaks tackles, and he runs downhill. He’s a football man,” English said. “He’s played at one of the top high schools in the state. I just think we’re getting a guy who’s a good steal, who’s a track man as well as football, who loves to play … who
loves to win. He’s tough.”

Lewis isn’t the only multisport athlete in the class, however. In fact, English looks especially for guys who have experience in other athletic activities.

“We do want guys who play multiple sports,” English said. “We have many guys playing basketball and track and baseball. One of our kids (running back), Darius Jackson, is going to play on our baseball team here.”