EMU's Samantha Partridge swims for success

A shoulder injury will not keep this swimmer out of the pool for long

Before junior Samantha Partridge became fully active in swimming, she swam for a few country club leagues during the summer months.

“I started swimming year-round when I was eight,” Partridge said.

During her senior year of high school, the freestyle and distance swimmer was the state champion in the 500-free and runner-up in the 200-free. Partridge was also a part of her club team’s national team from 2006 to 2008.

“My high school won the state meet all four years I was a part of the team,”

Partridge said. “I was an All-American in 2008 and an All-American consideration in 2006 and 2007 in the 500-free.”

When Partridge went on recruiting trips, she decided to attend Eastern because she had a good connection with the girls on the team and she had the chance to watch them compete in dual meets.

“I could tell they were working hard,” Partridge said. “But they were having fun while doing it.”

As with many of the swimmers on the team, they enjoyed each other’s company and enjoy the family unit created between the members. For Partridge, this still holds true.

“I really enjoy competing with the girls,” Partridge said. “No matter who the competition is, we are having a blast with the meet and supporting each other to swim fast.”

Whether she is competing in meets or just practicing in the pool, Partridge enjoys working hard and doing it with her friends.

“I enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes with doing well in a hard workout, and the connection you make with teammates during those tough workouts,” Partridge said.

During her freshman year, Partridge finished fourth in the 400 IM, eighth in the 500-free and fourth in the mile. In that same year, she also made the All-MAC second team. Her sophomore year saw major improvements when she finished second in the mile, fourth in the 200-free, and third in the 500-free. She swam NCAA Division 1-B qualification times in the mile, 500- and 200-free.

“I was also part of the third place 400-free and 800-free relays,” Partridge said. “I was All-MAC first team and Academic All-MAC. I was sidelined by a shoulder injury last year, but am excited to be competing at the MAC meet again this year.”

Partridge injured her shoulder by a combination of swimming and having loose joints.
“My shoulder was subluxing (partial dislocation of the shoulder joint),” Partridge said. “I had surgery to tighten my labrum.”

Though the shoulder might have slowed her down, Partridge has no intention of letting it slow her down ever again. She will have a chance to prove that in the MAC meet.

When Partridge isn’t in the pool practicing, attending meets, or studying in class, she enjoys reading books, scrapbooking, baking and hanging out with friends.

“I love baking cupcakes and cookies,” Partridge said. “I also really enjoy Jodi Picoult books. I love that her books have a different court case with tons of twists and turns.”

And the swimmer’s interests don’t stop there.

“I ran a half-marathon this past Labor Day weekend and will be training for my second one over the summer with my mom,” she said. “I am not much for land activities, so running is a huge accomplishment to me.”

Partridge definitely has water in her blood, and there is no doubt she will continue to work hard to accomplish all her swimming goals in the future.