Hulvey dives into victory later in life

Sophomore Danielle Hulvey’s diving career didn’t start when she was younger like most swimmers. In fact, Hulvey didn’t start diving until she was in high school.

“I began diving for the U.S. Elite Diving Academy in Ohio during high school,” Hulvey said.

Hulvey was named an All-American diver her senior year, and she was also a national team member. She was also an AAU National Champion in the three-meter dive in 2008.

When Hulvey was deciding on which college she wanted to attend, Eastern struck a chord with her in more ways than one.

“I came to Eastern because I loved the diving program,” Hulvey said. “I liked the academics that were offered here for my major (Biology), and I felt comfortable walking around campus; as if I were at home.”

The team she dives with is almost like her family.

Hulvey explained the team came from all different places and backgrounds but they get along really well.

“I love hanging out and practicing with them,” Hulvey said.
During her freshman year of college, Hulvey was able to wow spectators, set conference highs and even qualify for zone championships in the one-meter and three-meter at the EMU Invitational. Hulvey snagged second place in the one-meter dive and was also an All-MAC Second Team selection.

Diving takes a lot of focus and hard work, and that’s exactly what Hulvey loves about the sport. When she knows she has accomplished something great, she can look back on all the hours of strenuous workouts and know they paid off.

“[Diving] is a very challenging sport, both mentally and physically,” Hulvey said. “I really enjoy that fact because I like being able to know that I can push through hard workouts and figure out how to do my dives when I’m not having the best of days, but still come out of the workouts feeling accomplished.”

No matter what kind of day is thrown her way, Hulvey knows how to make the best out of it by diving. She knows she can accomplish anything she sets her mind on.

“I don’t really know what my greatest accomplishments have been,” Hulvey said. “I made NCAA zones and did pretty well there my freshman year of college, and I have been to USA Summer Junior Nationals in high school.”

When Hulvey isn’t working hard in the pool, she enjoys drawing, reading, constructing origami and playing video games.

“I read most things, from science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction, graphic novels and adventure fiction,” Hulvey said. “I draw animals and fiction characters mostly.”

When Hulvey constructs origami, she creates whatever she feels like, usually animals and flowers. Where video games are concerned, Hulvey certainly knows what she is talking about.

“I mostly play RPGs, such as the Final Fantasy series, Kingdom Hearts, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Legend of Zelda series, which is my favorite series,” Hulvey said. “But I also play some FPS, 007 games and sometimes Call of Duty or Resident Evil and old school SNES and NES games too like Earthbound and Mario.”

Though not known to many people, Hulvey enjoys writing short stories. She typically writes them in the first person narrative view, but switches it up once in a while.

Hulvey enjoys doing many things, but diving is at the top of her list.

As a sophomore, she has a couple more years left of diving for Eastern and will be able to accomplish many more goals.