Swim, dive teams compete

Emig, Hendricks represent EMU

The Eastern Michigan University women’s swimming and diving team had juniors Briana Emig and Kelly Hendricks compete in the NCAA Championship Meet Thursday through Saturday in Auburn, Alaska.

The first competitions took place on Thursday, with Emig swimming in the 500 freestyle event. She finished 34th in the preliminary event with a time of 4:45.35.

University of Southern California swimmer Haley Anderson won the 500 freestyle title by less than one second against Georgia freshman Amber McDermott.

Hendricks finished 22nd in the preliminary event of the 1-meter dive with a 281.20 score. USC diver Victoria Ishimatsu took the 1-meter diving championship after scoring 354.10 in the finals. Ishimatsu won by more than six points.

The second day of the tournament began with some preliminary contests Friday. Emig swam in the 400 individual medley preliminary event and finished 36th place, just short of advancing to the finals.

USC swimmer Katinka Hosszu won the 400 individual medley championship by more than one second against junior Caitlin Leveren of Cal Berkeley.
Hendricks participated in the 3-meter dive and finished 28th in the preliminary after posting a 280.35.

Jaele Patrick of Texas A&M took first in the preliminary and went on to win the 3-meter championship with a final score of 410.15.

Saturday was the final day for the NCAA Championship. Emig was the only EMU swimmer, as she competed in the 1,650 freestyle event.

Emig finished 27th in the event (16:26.83). North Carolina swimmer Stephanie Peacock took the 1,650 freestyle title by .15 seconds against Georgia’s Wendy Trott. Peacock also set a new NCAA record for the event, which was set by current Olympic swimmer Janet Evans in 1990.