Swim star proud to be a part of the EMU team

Student Jake Heyblom reflects on his accomplishments and memories

For senior Jake Heyblom, the sport of swimming was not his first love. In fact, if it wasn’t for getting cut from the basketball team in seventh grade, Heyblom wouldn’t have considered swimming.

“I was really disappointed that I was cut [from basketball] so my mom suggested that I try swimming,” Heyblom said. “She told me that she used to swim in high school and that I had an uncle who swam at the Olympic trials in the ’80s.”

Heyblom began swimming in seventh grade for his school in Grand Haven.
In high school, Heyblom was a four-year varsity letter winner in swimming. He was also an All-Conference and All-State selection for all four years.

“I chose to come to Eastern because of the reputation it had,” he said. “They had a strong tradition of winning and excellence. I also heard that Coach Linn was one of the best coaches in the nation. I really clicked with the team when I came and visited as well.”

During Heyblom’s second year at Eastern Michigan University, he recorded the 11th fastest time at the conference for the 50 freestyle during the EMU Invitational. Against Ball State, Heyblom placed fourth in the 50 free and the 200-free events.

During his junior year, Heyblom snagged first place in the 100-breaststroke event at the 2011 MAC Swimming and Diving Championships and he also placed fourth in the 200-breaststroke event. He was an Academic All-MAC selection and an All-MAC first team honoree that year.

Heyblom said he appreciates how his team can work together to accomplish great things and how they can make great things happen by the way they connect with one another.

“My favorite part of the team is that we all shoot for the same goal every day,” he said. “We come to practice with one goal and one mission every day. The team stays focused and works hard to achieve those goals.”

The greatest memory Heyblom has captured from being on the swim team is when they won their 30th MAC Championship this year. Heyblom landed in 10th place in the 100-breaststroke event.

“We were picked third or fourth coming into the season and we came out on top during the fastest MAC swim meet in conference history,” he said. “I feel that my biggest accomplishment is helping lead our team to the MAC Championship.”

Heyblom noted how he, Troy Esenton and the seniors did a good job of being team leaders during the MAC Championship.

Outside of practice and swim meets, Heyblom enjoys watching TV and movies. His favorite movie is “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” and his favorite TV shows are “Breaking Bad,” “Gold Rush,” “Bearing Sea Gold” and “How It’s Made.”

“I also really like to play card games. Mainly Euchre and poker,” he said. “I really like to sleep as well.”

Unbeknownst to many, Heyblom has been skydiving twice so far in his life.

“I hope to add to it this summer,” he said.

For not choosing swimming as his first choice of sport, Heyblom has excelled in the sport and has led the team to yet another MAC Championship.