Wrestling falls in tourney

Eastern Michigan University’s wrestling team sent four players to compete in the NCAA Tournament and many were eliminated during the second round.

Jared Germaine, of the 125-pound bracket, got the Eagles going with his first match against Matt McDonough, who is ranked No. 1, which marked their second time meeting this season.

McDonough got the better of Germaine in this matchup, scoring a pin at 3:24. Following the loss, Germaine faced off against Vince Rodriguez of George Mason, where he would score a 4-1 decision. Germaine’s night would end early as a loss against Matthew Snyder (No. 11) of Virginia would eliminate Germaine from the tournament.

Much of the same continued for the 157-pounders, as Aaron Sulzer was the single competitor for the Eagles. Sulzer began against No. 9 Justin Lister of Binghamton University, taking a 7-3 loss by decision. Following Sulzer’s loss, he began to pick up steam against Bobby Barnhisel of Navy, taking an 8-3 decision. Following his decision victory, Sulzer would be eliminated by Tommy Churchard of Purdue.

The last two of EMU’s contenders fell in the 174-pound weight class. Philip Joseph suffered a 7-6 decision loss to Ryan DesRoches (No. 6) of Cal. Poly. Joseph but would soon bounce back with a decision victory of his own, taking an 8-4 victory against Dave Foxen of Brown University.

The tournament would end for Joseph when he lost his final match against Greg Zannetti of Rutgers University, taking a 7-3 loss by decision.

Wesley Schroeder began with a fast-paced start, taking a 5-2 decision in his opening match again Kevin Lester of Columbia University.

Schroeder would be pinned by Ryan Flores (No. 1) of American University. Following his loss, Schroeder would suffer another 8-1 decision loss to Tucker Lane (No. 11) of Nebraska.

The Eagles (14-6) end their season with a 5-1 home record (4-2 away).