EMU tennis team wants consistency

The Eastern Michigan University women’s tennis team will travel to take on the Northern Illinois Huskies at 1 p.m. Friday.

“I’m expecting NIU to give us their best on Friday,” Coach Ryan Ray said.

The Eagles are 2-1 in the Mid-American Conference and 6-12 overall. The team has done well in doubles play though they struggle in singles.

“I don’t think our singles are necessarily weak at this point, just consistency is needed throughout all six positions,” Ray said. “If we can get more consistent, positive results throughout the lineup and work on dictating points better, we will be successful.”

NIU is 9-7 and its singles players are strong. Nelle Youel is 11-5 and Haley Dekkinga and Mary Malkin are 9-6.

The NIU doubles team of Dekkinga and Stephanie McDonald has been performing well with a record of 9-4. Also, the team of Arantz de la Torre and Youel is 7-7.

With the Eagles’ doubles teams being as strong as they are, they should have no problem overcoming the Huskies. However, the singles will have to work hard to avoid defeat.

“It’s all about focus and going in mentally prepared for anything,” Ray said. “If we do the work this week in practice, I feel good about competing well on Friday.”

The Eagles have tough competition ahead of them, but with hard work and focusing during all of their matches and sets, they are likely to pull off a win. Hopefully, they can get another MAC win under their belt.

“During the conference season everyone is ready to compete so we need to be ready to match what they bring,” Ray said.