Ypsilanti Symphony Orchestra continuing cultural tradition

According to Ypsilanti Symphony Orchestra Music Director and Conductor, Adam C. Riccinto,
“If you’ve not heard an orchestra live, you’ve not heard an orchestra.”

The Ypsilanti Symphony Orchestra, in partnership with Dykema, The Henry Ford and The Sphinx Organization, is bringing culture to our doorstep at 3:30 p.m. April 29 in Pease Auditorium.

The Ypsilanti Symphony Orchestra enters their fourteenth season preserving great music.
“In a time when there are concerns and fears, a lot of loss in our city and in our culture, great music is something that we still have,” Riccinto said.

He continued, “The symphony is a thriving organization and one of the things that we’re not losing. I want the audience to be able to check that part of their life at the door and experience the sensation of hearing this music and be able share it with other. To hear something they may never have access to again in their life.”

As conductor, Riccinto gets to be the man behind the music.

“To guide that sound, to work with community musicians, amateur musicians, to raise the musical level and create a fine performance, it’s an extraordinary feeling.”

Songs included on the program are Tchaikovsky’s D major Violin Concerto, Herold’s “Zampa” Overture, Dvorak’s Symphony No. 8 in G major and Sarasate’s “Zigeunerweisen.”

According to Riccinto, “It’s music that has beautiful tone, tune and melodies the ears will really enjoy. It has the lush harmony of a full orchestra and it’s a very accessible program. This isn’t gonna be music that’s out there or hard to wrap your head around. It’s all beautiful music from the Romantic Era. I think folks are gonna have a wonderful time.”

Sphinx Laureate and violin expert Gareth Johnson will be performing with the Ypsilanti Symphony Orchestra. “It’s exciting to work with a world class artist like Gareth who is also well traveled, well spoken, incredibly bright and an amazing example for our community,” said Riccinto.

“Not only is he a fine artist but he really believes in what we do, which is to bring this art form to folks who may not have had access to it in any other way.”

Gareth will be playing Tchaikovsky’s D major Violin Concerto on one of Henry Ford’s rare 1709 Stradivari violins. According to Riccinto, Antonio Stradivari is “the greatest violin maker to ever live. There are hardly any of them are around. One of the reasons these instruments are in such great shape is that they’re never played. That being said, the need to be played. It’s what they were meant to do.”

With the expectation of a spectacular show, Riccinto hopes audience members come away and say ‘Wow, I entered not knowing Ypsilanti had an orchestra, and left having had one of the finest afternoons that I can remember.’
T
he concert will not only be a once in a lifetime experience, but it will also be affordable, offering “accessible ticket prices, less than taking the family to the movie,” said Riccinto.

Tickets are going for $14 for adults and a discounted rate of $7.50 for students, seniors and children under 12. In addition to that, a group rate of $9 per person is offered for a group of four or more.

You can purchase tickets at the door, or call Eastern Michigan University’s ticket office at 734-487-5386 to order in advance. For more information on the event, call 734-507-1451 or email info@ypsilantisymphony.org for details.

“I’d say why not? The risk is very small,” said Riccinto. “We don’t bat an eye at trying a new bottle of wine or a new movie we know nothing about or a restaurant we’ve never been to. If we don’t like it we choose not to go there again. But we might find something we enjoy. Give it a try. Why not?”