Eastern Michigan freshman starting pitcher Ryan Lavoie (3-3) picked up the loss, allowing four runs in the first inning. Redshirt senior Bo Kinder went 1-for-4 on the day and had one RBI.

Eagles lose 9-3 on senior day

The Eastern Michigan University baseball team took a hard loss on Sunday during its senior game against Bowling Green. The team won its two previous games against the team, 10-3 on Friday and 6-0 on Saturday but was sloppy in the third game and committed a season-high six errors on the day losing 9-3.

“We made six errors, and we didn’t throw enough strikes, we didn’t get to work from ahead enough.” assistant coach Andrew Maki said, “We have been pitching great and playing great defense, but today was one of those blow up games.”

The team started the game trailing early as freshman starting pitcher Ryan Lavoie (3-3) who picked up the loss on the day let up four runs alone in the first inning. The team was able to answer back by putting up two runs in the first inning with senior infielder Brent Ohrman on an RBI single and sophomore infielder Lee Longo on an RBI sacrifice fly.

Redshirt senior Bo Kinder was able to get an RBI and put another run up in the bottom of the sixth inning. Bowling Green added to its lead in the sixth and seventh inning making it a 6-3 game when head coach Jay Alexander got into an argument with the head umpire over the count and was tossed from the game by the head umpire.

“Nothing happened actually,” Alexander said when describing why he was ejected from the game. “He said I was arguing too much with the strikes and he wanted to use ‘prison authority’ so to speak.”
Despite the fiery show from their head coach the team was unable to add any more runs on the board and gave up another three runs in the ninth inning ending the game 9-3.

Alexander was not thrilled with his team’s performance.

“Awful actually, I have a really bad taste in my mouth and they should to.” Alexander said. “Especially when we didn’t play well, we didn’t play well at home and we didn’t play well enough to win. With six errors they didn’t really give themselves a chance to win. After dominating the first two games and coming back today and laying an egg like this on senior day it’s very disappointing.”

Maki was more optimistic about the team’s performance on the weekend. “We gave up a lot of early errors and runs today but we did win two out of three and the goal of every series is to take at least two out of three and we maintained our goal which is good but what happened today was a little disappointing being senior day.”

The team will be heading to Buffalo on a road trip this weekend.