5572_the_avengersf.jpg

EMU’s Campus Life hosts events, entertains students

Eastern Michigan University’s Campus Life department will be hosting various events for students and guests this year, ranging from movie nights to comedy speakers.

The department’s Friday Night Movies series, which features two nightly showings with one at 8 p.m. and the other at 10:30 p.m., will begin Sept. 7 in the Student Center Auditorium (maximum capacity 250 people). All movie showings are free of charge and open to faculty members, students and guests.

EMU senior Patricia Brumm said she thinks the Friday Night Movies are a great idea, especially for the students that live on campus.

“It gives us something to do on a Friday night whether we are alone or with friends,” Brumm said.

Students will have the opportunity to dress up as their favorite superhero at Campus Life’s Movie in the Park showing of Marvel’s “The Avengers,” Sept. 8 at 8:30 p.m. in University Park. Again the event is free and open to the public.

Some movie titles and date information have not yet been released due to ongoing student movie polls. Check out Campus Life’s website for upcoming movie showings.

Additionally, local stand-up comedians will be featured in the Laugh Lounge series, which will begin on Sept. 20 at 9 p.m. in Room 300 of the Student Center; the opening show will be hosted by comedian Rickie McDowell, feature comedian Forrest Haigh and comedian and impressionist Michael McDaniel will be headlining.

Michael McDaniel, a Detroit native, is known as “the guy who can do anyone’s voice,” including comedian Dave Chapelle and Academy Award winning actor Denzel Washington. He has shared the stage with some of the biggest names in comedy such as Tony Roberts, Mike Epps and Donnell Rawlings, as well as produced, wrote and directed sketch comedy on the variety show “Booyah.”

In addition, students and guests are encouraged to attend the Storytellers Lounge, which will begin Sept. 27 at 9 p.m. in Room 300 of the Student Center and feature comedian Sara Benincasa.

Originally from New Jersey, Benincasa is a writer, award-winning comedian and host of the podcast “Sex and Other Human Activities.” She is currently working on “Agorafabulous,” a book based upon her struggle with agoraphobia and panic attacks.