Katie’s Craft Corner #1

As a commuter student, I won’t be setting up a dorm, moving into a new city or getting settled with a new roommate at the start of my freshman year (although I do have to coordinate with my sister). But getting your space organized is important regardless of where you live.

Having the essentials organized means more time to spend studying, reading and having fun – and less time searching for your other shoe.

In this column, I’ll be showing you how to make quick, easy and affordable projects throughout the school year. You’ll learn how to make both practical and fun projects for yourself, friends and family (hello easy and thoughtful holiday gift giving). Crafting is fun and relaxing, so don’t let limited time and money stop you.

Everything you need for the project is in this article, and every craft project I’ll feature here is available at stores like Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores (crafts and fabric) and Michaels (crafts only), which offer fun, stylish and affordable supplies.

You can buy many things to spruce up and organize your space. Try getting some basics like canvas bins, boxes, pillows and picture frames, and then stock up on fun things to personalize them like fabric markers, iron-on appliqués and trims.

If you’re new to do-it-yourself projects and fabric and craft stores, here are a few tips:

Fabric is sold off a cardboard bolt. The price and washing instructions are on a label attached to the end. When you find a fabric you like, take the bolt to the cutting table and tell the employee how much you need cut. When you check out, place the cutting receipt on the counter with your other items. Trims and cording are sold the same way, but instead of being on a bolt they are rolled on a plastic spool.

Fabric and craft stores often offer coupons that you can use (one piece of cut fabric qualifies as a single item) as long as the item is not already on sale.

For most projects, steer clear of shiny, sheer and fancy fabrics like lace and sequins; they are often expensive and hard to work with, even for experienced crafters.

Use decent quality scissors for fabric projects, because they’ll make every cut look smooth and clean.

Now I’ll explain how to make a simple drawstring tote bag that can flatten out and doesn’t require any sewing. With the pull of a string, the mat becomes a roomy sack for laundry, accessories, shoes, books and more.

You’ll need:
-1 yard of fabric (Use cotton fabric for a lightweight, packable bag good for clothes, or use felt for a strong bag good for carrying shoes, books or other heavy items.)
-1 yard of cord
-1 bottle of No Fray fabric spray (Only for the cotton; felt doesn’t need any reinforcement.)

Project steps:
1. Fold the fabric into quarters: in half lengthwise and then in half widthwise.
2. Hold a ruler down at the inside corner and use a pencil or pen to draw an arc the appropriate size for your tote.
3. Cut through all layers to make a quarter circle and unfold; you now have a full circle.
4. For the cotton bag, paint No Fray around the edge of the material and allow to dry according to package directions.
5. About 2 inches from the outer edge, cut small slits (about half of an inch in length) evenly spaced around the perimeter to thread the cord through.
6. Thread the cord through the slits and tie a tight, square knot (visit this website for knot instructions) and you’re done.

After you’ve tried making the tote bag, you can make smaller ones with light fabric and ribbon ties for holding gifts, hair accessories, jewelry or other small pieces.