5573_819x3wsqcdl_sl1500_f.jpg

Planning stylish, transitional outfits on a student’s budget

Staying simultaneously comfortable and fashionable can be a challenge. One of the most trying times (style-wise) for any young adult is back to school. Defining your personal style, enjoying the time it takes to get dressed and impressing your peers consumes your thoughts until midterms come along.

Being on trend with the fashion world is turning into a huge thing these days. Style blogs and top artists’ endorsements influence our buying power, but you always need to have the basics handy.

Now when I say basics, I don’t mean socks and drawers (because I know you should have plenty of those), but real clothes, shoes and accessories that are transitional.

And what is transitional dressing? It means being a smart consumer who buys things for intended multiple uses for different scenarios. Spiked platform boots are very on trend when you’re clubbing or attending social events, but wearing them to a president’s luncheon at school may garner the wrong attention from your peers and superiors. It’s about knowing how to push the envelope in a very classy way that still compliments your personal style.

The almighty power of transitional dressing is a saving grace for those on a budget and a test of true style for those who are always busy. Seeing that college students often are low on cash and lead busy lives makes transitional dressing a sublime choice.

Ladies: Owning a nice pair or two of quality high heels is a definite style must. You may or may not be the type that likes to wear them to class, but a nice pair of heels can transition you nicely from a midday meeting to a dinner date and then possibly even a bar crawl.

Color is your friend but understand your commitments. If your daily routine consists of equal amounts business and pleasure, grab some nice closed-toe nude heels, black suede pumps and something in royal blue, which is a very on trend color right now. I’d suggest www.jessicasimpson.com or www.piperlime.com for a great selection of shoes at usually reasonable prices.

Even before you get the shoes, be sure to always have at least one little black dress in your arsenal for days when you’re indecisive or need something quick. I mean, it would go well with the heels I mentioned beforehand, right? Good finds for dresses await you at www.forever21.com and www.zara.com.

Finally, please don’t lug around your life in these jumbo totes and hobo bags. Only carry what you’ll need for the day or occasion, so that you won’t look like a hoarder everyday when searching for your wallet.

Clutches and dainty-sized shoulder bags are very hot right now, will set you apart from your ‘bag lady’ counterparts and can be the perfect compliment to your amazing outfit. Coach has been moving in an excellent direction as of late with their branding and design, which makes them a great choice this fall.

Gents: These days, staying in style is just as important for us as it is for the ladies.

A nicely colored oxblood or brown pair of wingtip oxfords is great for formal looks with slacks or casual wear with your favorite straight-legged denim. For online shopping, www.dsw.com and www.aldoshoes.com have some great shoes to choose from.

Another staple that every man should own is the classic trench coat. Long, short, lined, cinched or open, the trench is undeniably utilitarian and graceful at the same time. It’s challenging to find nice ones at budget-friendly prices, but a thorough Google search or trip to your local thrift store should turn up some reasonable results.

Last but not least is the statement timepiece to complete your look; I promise the normal attention you attract from both men and women will increase by at least 15 percent just by having a beautiful wristwatch. Whether you like to chart the stars or just need to know how late you are for class, watches are the essential tool for today’s gentlemen. For pretty cool watch finds check out www.overstock.com or a local Fossil store.

All the essential fashion staples I outlined are transitional and can for the most part be worn year-round. It’s important to be a smart shopper and to get the most bang for your buck while also being happy with your choices. Look for sales, check out fashion blogs and chat with stylish classmates to help lead you in the right direction. If you get a refund from financial aid be sure to take care of bills and necessities first, because being responsible is sexy and definitely in style.

Finally, no matter what you wear or how you decide to rock it, always breathe an air of confidence and know that you are the only you in the world.