5745_dsc_0621f.JPG

KITCHEN 101: Magic(ally delicious) stuffed mushrooms

Mushrooms, I feel bad for them. Sure, they’re delicious, nutritious and inexpensive but when was the last time you actually ate a mushroom that wasn’t on a burger or deep fried? There’s more to this fungus than to play second fiddle.

To celebrate the chronically ignored delight, I thought I’d go with something simple. These stuffed mushrooms are simple but astoundingly delicious. Well, simple and low-carb. If you want to slim it down even farther, try a low-fat cream cheese substitute.

Another thing I love about this recipe is its versatility. The recipe, as it’s printed. But you could cook up some chicken or shrimp and add it. Even swap out feta for Parmesan and add some spinach.

Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2
Serving size: 6 caps
Calories per serving: 528
Net carbs: 7.8

Ingredients:
12 whole fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 package cream cheese (8 ounces)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside. If your cream cheese is cold, set it on top of the warming oven to soften.

2. Clean your mushrooms by rubbing them with a damp paper towel. Remove the stems of the mushroom. Finely chop the stems, make sure to remove any hard or dry areas.

3. Warm the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped mushroom stems, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Sauté until soft then move contents from the pan to a medium bowl.

4. After the mushrooms have cooled slightly, add Parmesan cheese and cream cheese to the bowl. Mix until fully combined.

5. Arrange mushroom caps on the oiled tray. Scoop even amounts of the cream cheese mixture into the mushroom caps. Place in the oven to bake until the filling starts to brown, about 20 minutes.

6. Remove from the oven and allow the mushrooms to cool for a few minutes. Enjoy.