NY Fashion Week shows chic, retro

The annual mega-event, New York Fashion Week, has closed the doors on its Spring/Summer 2013 shows, which started Sept. 6.

This is the third year that NYFW has been held in the Lincoln Center for Performing Arts in New York City. NYFW is sponsored every year by Mercedes Benz and executed by the IMG Group. The purpose of the weeklong event is to display some of the greatest American fashion designers in the nation.

All of the excitement of NYFW is slightly overwhelming, whether you’re in the heart of the city or on your couch at home. The shows are all day, followed by a super busy social scene at night that fashion’s most faithful must conquer to keep them ahead of the game. This week, some of the most talented designers kept their brands’ light shining bright with collections worth coveting for years to come.

Stripe play seems to be a big hit for the spring season with major houses like Tommy Hilfiger, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors all blending the staple into their own collections. Oversized trousers, maxi dresses, button-down shirts and cardigans all got perfectly lined amongst these collections.

Another very noticeable trend for the spring, which was also spotted on these three runways, is the return of retro. That’s right—the ’60s and ’80s were very influential in the silhouettes and tailoring of just about half of all these collections.

Contemporary looks were mixed in with patchwork denim, mod cocktail dresses and uber-cool buttoned shirts.

Over on the more whimsical side of the fence was the eclectic, yet surprisingly wearable, collection from Jeremy Scott. The youthful designer has been taking the fashion industry by storm with his very unique aesthetic that has gained attention from some of style’s youngest mavens.

His collection was street chic to say the least. My faves were the thigh-high caped-toe python boots in black and sky blue, black floor length tulle veils and machine gun appliqué tops, all impeccably made for both genders. It was definitely a collection that will make Scott all the rage on the fashion-forward street scene.

Young designer Alexander Wang also hosted a stunning runway event during NYFW. Wang, a Council of Fashion Designers of America winner, designed a delectably deconstructed line that still kept a modern flair. A majority of the looks were very cutting-edge and gave the impression of a beautiful puzzle that was layed out perfectly, and not just pushed together. My favorite looks from his show were the laser cutout sheer paneled shirts, cutout baseball shirtdresses and strappy sandals that extended up almost to the knee.

Industry editors, buyers, press and icons are all given the coveted seats to see some of the most visionary fashion shows twice a year so that they may pass the images and news onto us. But since the recent advancements in technology, getting up-to-the-second runway coverage is no longer a wish. Plenty of shows are shown live on sites like www.style.com and Youtube.com minutes after they wrap and some are even streamed live.

Showing next season’s fashions in movement really gives the consumer more buying power from home and helps bloggers to better edit their favorite pieces for their target audience. The fashion industry has come a long way in its efforts to be more inclusive while all the while still keeping its exclusive edge.