The Eastern Echo Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 | Print Archive

Eagles offense offensively bad at BGSU

The Eastern Michigan University football team (1-7 overall, 0-4 Mid-American Conference) came up short against the Bowling Green State University Falcons (6-3, 4-1 MAC) with a final score of 24-3. This is BGSU’s fifth win in a row and they are now bowl-eligible for the first time in three years.

BGSU scored early in the game after a trick play where running back Jordan Hopgood found wide receiver Shaun Joplin for a 53-yard touchdown pass.

With 5:17 to go in the first quarter, the Eagles scored after a seven-play, 45-yard drive that set up a 47-yard field goal for Dylan Mulder.

The Falcons responded with an 84-yard drive that ended with a 27-yard touchdown run by Andre Givens to give BGSU a 14-3 lead with 1:19 to go in the first quarter.

EMU’s next run led to a turnover early in the second quarter when quarterback Tyler Benz threw an interception to linebacker Gabe Martin on the Falcons 31-yard line.

Midway through the second quarter, EMU wide receiver Demarius Reed fumbled a punt return where BGSU recovered the ball to start a new drive on the Eagles 24-yard line. The Falcons attempted to kick a field goal after four plays for three yards, but Stephen Stein’s kick went wide right.

Halfway through the third quarter, the Eagles had the ball on their 32-yard line, but Tyler Benz was sacked by Martin. This caused a fumble which BGSU defensive tackle Chris Jones recovered and ran for a 23-yard touchdown, giving BGSU a 21-3 lead.

With 12:01 left in the game, BGSU’s Tyler Tate kicked a 28-yard field goal, giving the Falcons a 24-3 lead.

After forcing the Eagles to a punt on their next possession, the Falcons held onto the ball and ran the clock out giving them the win with a final score of 24-3.

After two high-scoring games by the Eagles, the offense couldn’t keep it up. They totaled 178 yards on offense and had possession of the ball for 25:10.

Benz completed 11 out of his 24 attempted passes for 114 yards. He found Reed four times for 18 yards and tight end Garrett Hoskins once for eight yards.

Bronson Hill carried the ball 13 times and had a total of 57 net yards. Ryan Brumfield also had a fair share of rushes, where he ran for 22 yards off of four carries.

Linebacker Alex Bellfy had a big day on defense with 9.5 total tackles (four solo, 11 assist) and one forced fumble.

Senior Jay Karutz had eight punts for a total of 313 yards with a long of 51 yards and dropping two inside the 20-yard line. On Oct. 26, Karutz was named a candidate for the Ray Guy Award, which recognizes the best punters in the nation.

The Eagles will head to Athens, Ohio Nov. 1 to face the Ohio Bobcats (7-1, 3-1 MAC). The game will begin at 6 p.m. and can be seen on ESPNU.