EMU boxing club searches for students

School has been in session for just over a month, but the Eastern Michigan University boxing club is still searching for more students and making the course open-enrollment at all times.

Created by senior Andrew Slater, the club was more focused on helping students progress on the fundamentals of boxing before anyone decides to become the next Joe Frazier.

“We have the class first [and] from there we teach all the fundamentals, which include basic body movement and footwork,” Slater said. “I created the first hour for anyone interested in joining, so it’s a class, while the last two hours is for the club workouts.”

While boxing is the name of the game, Slater showed consideration to others before making a boxing club, including the use of yoga to bring a diverse atmosphere to the boxing club.

“We usually start with a cardio warm-up and a nice five to eight minute yoga session,” Slater said. “Yoga is amazing for every part of the body. We wanted to make a class for more than boxers.We wanted to bring in yoga for women who don’t want to box, or introduce the sport to that freshman who does not know what boxing or [mixed martial arts] is.”

While the class portion will encourage the idea of actually joining the club to begin boxing, the club itself will do what’s possible to enable anyone to become a successful boxer.

Slater broke down the process.

“Once you join the actual club, you’ll learn to shadowbox, light spar or body box before learning to become a complete boxer,” he said. “We’ll teach offense and defense, all to keep our guys in shape before doing anything further.”

With a large amount to cover, Slater is not alone in the club, bringing forth two friends to help teach the course. Kevin Hodges is a tae kwon do black belt and boxer and Jade Paron is a yoga and kickboxing instructor.

While Paron will teach the yoga portion along with the majority of the beginning of classes, Hodges and Slater will teach the club itself following the opening of class. This will create a balanced course that Slater believes can help any student.

“I have two great assistant coaches, and this class can push you to a limit you’ve never been before, but you will learn, while being pushed,” Slater said.

While Slater focused on the idea of pushing students, he understands that every student is not in top shape and he encourages the idea of working at your own pace to get into shape.

“I believe that it’s not how fast you get it done, as long as you get it done,” Slater said. “We understand some people haven’t worked out since high school and we take that into account with our workouts.”

Slater, who’s been boxing since age 16 and has a record of 12-3, is looking to bring the sport of boxing to EMU and wants anyone who’s interested in learning to join the EMU boxing club. In regards to anyone looking to join, Slater had plenty to offer.

“We have a bunch of great people, you learn self-defense, you get into shape and we can teach you anything there is to know about boxing,” Slater said. “There are no tryouts; you come and you learn. Anything is possible, but it’s all up to you.”

The EMU Boxing club has practice every Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. on the second floor of the Rec/IM in Room 212.