5797_homecoming_game_day_772f.jpg

EMU Homecoming king crowned

Eastern Michigan University junior Blake Navarre was crowned the 2012 Homecoming king during halftime of the Homecoming game against Kent State Oct. 6 at Rynearson Stadium.

Navarre is from Ypsilanti and majoring at EMU in healthcare administration. Navarre spoke with The Eastern Echo about his achievements and overall excitement of being crowned EMU Homecoming king.

Q: Why are you interested in healthcare administration?

A: I am very intrigued [with] the healthcare system. I love policy and healthcare [along] with business. I like to do more than just help people. I want to make a bigger impact on hospitals such as programming.

Q: What are your favorite hobbies?

A: Snowboarding and playing video games.

Q: First-person shooter or survival horror games?

A: I am a very big person on first-person shooters. I used to do a lot of tournaments and stuff back in high school before I got into college work. Now, it’s just more of whenever I can make time for it. Mostly, I’ve been into “Resident Evil 6” that just came out recently. I play with my brother all the time [and] that’s how we stay bonded.

Q: Are you a PlayStation 3 or Xbox kind of gentleman?

A: I am an Xbox guy. I love the Xbox exclusive games such as “Gears of War.”

Q: What qualities do you think a Homecoming king should embody?

A: It varies per person. [They must be] friendly and personable; you have to connect with other people on campus. Get to know the people who are voting for you.

Q: What is your biggest fear?

A: Besides heights, it would be not being successful after I graduate.

Q: If you had a choice to visit a decade, what would it be and why?

A: I’d love to go visit the 1950s because that year was amazing. Even though there was tons of discrimination at that time, it was a time where guys were gentlemen.

Q: What advice would you give current EMU students?

A: Go out of your comfort stuff and do things you wouldn’t naturally do. Also, do not be afraid to ask questions and if confused go seek it out.

Q: If you could see 24 hours into the future, what would you do with this ability?

A: I have an exam on Monday; I’d use it as a great study tool.

Q: What song do you love to dance to?

A: Right now, it would be “Gangnam Style.” I play that song at least three times a day. Also, “We Are Who We Are,” a cover made by band Roll With Me. When I hear that song I just get up and get it (chuckles).

Q: What student organizations are you apart of?

A: I am a part of Sigma Alpha Lambda Honors Fraternity, Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity, resident adviser in Best Hall, Relay for Life and New Student Orientation.

Q: What is your favorite animal?

A: Penguins. They make my heart melt with their built-in tuxedos.