5820_dsc_0593f.JPG

Kitchen 101: Dorm-approved mac & cheese

For the most part, dorm cooking kind of sucks. The spaces are small and the amenities are hardly worth mentioning. I’ve tried to give you guys and gals some tips to making better food in your cement cells, but have yet to give you a fully dorm ready recipe, until now.

This week in Kitchen 101, I have a simple version of mac and cheese that you can make with just a microwave. Good food doesn’t have to be made in a state of the art kitchen. If this recipe is any indication, you don’t even need a stove.

This recipe is nice because of its flexibility, low cost and ingredient availability. You can make this with any boxed mac and cheese, which means that you can choose the price you can afford and no matter what store you go to, you’ll probably find an Easy Mac or something similar. There are even several places across campus to get most of these ingredients.

Since I’ve never lived in a dorm, I can’t fully test how easy this recipe is to make. If you do and you give it a try, let me know how it goes. Share your experiences or tips in a comment on EasternEcho.com or Facebook.com/Kitchen101blog.

DETAILS

Prep time – 5 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
Servings – 3
Serving size – 1 cup
Calories per serving – varies

INGREDIENTS

1 box deluxe macaroni dinner
½ cup cheddar cheese
1 jalapeno pepper
7 slices pre-cooked bacon
Black pepper

PROCEDURE

Place noodles in medium-size, microwave-safe bowl. Fill bowl with water that covers one inch above the noodles. Cook in microwave until done.

While noodles cook, chop bacon and jalapeno pepper.

Once noodles are done, drain off water and return noodles to bowl.

Add cheddar cheese, cheese sauce and black pepper to noodles and mix until combined.

Add jalapeno and bacon to the noodles and cheese and mix until combined.

Notes:

Mozzarella, provolone, gruyere and Colby Jack can all be substituted for cheddar cheese.