Track absentee ballots online

Michigan’s absentee voters can now track the status of their ballots online, using a feature provided by Michigan Secretary of State Ruth Johnson.

“If they want to know when their ballot was mailed or if it’s been received, they can find out online from anywhere they have Internet access,” Johnson said in a press release.

Absentee voters can visit the Michigan Voter Information Center at www.Michigan.gov/sos to find up-to-date information about their ballot.

Once a local clerk receives an absentee ballot application, the voter’s ballot information is continually updated by the clerk’s office. Absentee ballots are counted after polls close on Election Day Nov. 6.

Ballot tracking was previously only required for military and overseas voters, but recent legislation was passed requiring all voters’ ballots to be tracked. New software was created so clerks in small jurisdictions would also be able to participate.

Those who are eligible may still apply for an absentee ballot until 2 p.m. Nov. 3. Absentee ballots can be obtained in person through 4 p.m. Nov. 5 from the local clerk’s office.

According to the Secretary of State, registered voters may obtain an absentee ballot if they:

• Expect to be absent from the community in which they are registered for the entire time the polls will be open on Election Day.

• Have been appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside their precinct of residence.

• Are physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another.

• Are unable to go to the polls due to religious reasons.

• Are in jail awaiting arraignment or trial.

• Are 60 years old or older.

In addition to checking the status of absentee ballots, Michigan residents can also use the Voter Information Center to view a sample ballot, learn how to fill out the ballot properly, find their polling location and find contact information for their local clerk.