Basketball beats Texas-Pan Am in Ice Man

The Eastern Michigan University men’s basketball team (3-1) ousted the University of Texas-Pan American Broncs (1-5) Nov. 18 in the EMU Ice Man Classic finale 57-47.

The Eagles won the tip-off and started the ball game with a missed baseline jumper by freshman point guard Jalen Ross, only to be rebounded and put back in by redshirt junior forward Daylen Harrison.

After a UTPA layup by forward Justin Leathers and a three-pointer by forward Ruben Cabrera, the Broncs took an early 5-2 lead in the game.

The Eagles struggled to take back the lead until midway through the first half when the 6-foot-7-inch redshirt junior forward Glenn Bryant got the steal and was assisted by senior forward Jamell Harris for the layup to put EMU ahead 10-9.

The Broncs took back a minimal lead of 13-10 with a short jumper by Leathers and a tip in by guard Jamal Dantzler with 9:03 to go in the half.

The Eagles came back again, taking an eight point lead (23-15) with 3:02 to go in the half after 10 points in the paint and redshirt junior guard J.R. Sims’ three-pointer.

Going into halftime, EMU had the lead over UTPA with a score of 24-19 thanks to a Matt Balkema free throw late in the opening half. At the half, the Eagles had 16 points in the paint, shooting 11 for 28 from the floor.

The second half opened up with an immediate three-pointer by UTPA guard Brandon Provost, who finished the day with 11 points and five assists.

The Eagles responded by going on a 12-point run, starting with a layup by the 7-foot junior center Da’Shonte Riley. Other contributions to this run came from senior guard Derek Thompson’s longball, a pair of Riley free throws and three points from Bryant, helping the eagles get to a 14-point lead with the score at 36-22.

Poor three-point shooting by UTPA’s Provost and Hurley Johnson helped the Eagles maintain their lead for the remainder of the game.

Harrison led the way for the Eagles and earned himself Ice Man Classic All-Tournament honors after his performance. He played 36 minutes, getting a double-double with 12 points and 16 rebounds. He also received a pair of assists and got three steals on defense.

Riley made half of his field goals, putting eight points on the board while grabbing 11 rebounds. Harrison and Riley were responsible for nine out of the team’s 17 offensive rebounds.

The Eagle reserves only had nine points, made by freshman guard Ray Lee, Balkema and Sims.

The Broncs shot poorly from beyond the arc, going 6 for 20 during the game, missing 14 times in the second half.

The Eagles improved to a 5-1 record and kept their four-game home
winning streak alive as they defeated the Madonna University Crusaders (2-0) 75-57 at home Nov. 24.

The Eagles will travel to Syracuse University Dec. 3. The game begins at 7 p.m.