Caffeine Chronicles #8

The flavor of fall is typified by warm spices and the long-awaited return of the pumpkin. These timeless tastes compliment coffee very well, so it’s no surprise many coffee shops expand their menu during this season to cater to these autumn cravings. One such chain is Starbucks, not unlike the one in the Eastern Michigan University Student Center you probably walk by daily.

The two exclusively-fall drinks attached to Starbucks are the salted caramel mocha and the pumpkin spice latte. Which is superior and what other delicious fall drinks are lurking on the menu?

Grab your coziest hoodie and break out the scarves—it’s time to head out and uncover the tastiest fall treats.

Salted caramel mocha: Not gonna lie, I was a little put-off by the name. After all, who mixes salty into the already-perfect combination of bitter and sweet? It sounded like sensory overload at its finest.

My first reaction was pleasant surprise. It had an overpowering chocolaty taste that almost allows you to forget there are little salt crystals floating around in there, at least until you suck a cluster of them into your straw. Even still, the shock of salty isn’t terrible. It works for the same reason trail mix works. Sometimes, all you need to spice up chocolate is a dash of salt.

Pumpkin spice latte: I won’t lie; I really dislike the taste of pumpkin, except in very particular situations (read—pumpkin pie). So admittedly, I’m not qualified to tell you what’s delicious in the world of pumpkin. Still, a lot of people really seem to enjoy this drink, so if you happen to be one of those people, no judgment.

Putting aside my own pumpkin prejudice, I can see why the drink is popular. The taste is smooth and creamy with a bit of a kick. I’d recommend trying it at least once, even if you’re not a pumpkin fan.

Chai tea latte: This drink, mixed with Tazo brand black tea, isn’t an exclusively fall drink, but Starbucks has been promoting it alongside the seasonal items. For anyone who has never tasted chai tea, it’s nothing like your average sweet tea. This sassy, smooth chai tea brings the spice.

I’m a fan of the spicy chai taste, as a refreshing change from coffee. One variation is to order a dirty chai, or coffee mixed with chai tea. It keeps the spicy flavor from being too powerful and adds a nice bitter taste as well. I’d also recommend trying it iced as well. If you’ve had hot chai tea but never indulged in its chilled cousin, you’re missing out.

Caramel apple spice: Apples are probably the most quintessential autumn food item—I mean, you can’t take a bite out of a big ol’ juicy pumpkin, can you? Sipping this drink will take you straight to the orchard, evoking memories of hayrides and cider mills.

The drink itself is basically apple juice mixed with cinnamon syrup and topped with caramel. It has a sweet yet tart flavor. The one downside is the lack of caffeine, so don’t depend on this drink for your caffeine fix.

Here’s a bonus drink and one of my personal fall favorites. What you do is order a cinnamon dolce latte, but ask the barista to add a shot of vanilla syrup to it. The end result is a sweet coffee drink that tastes a little like a drinkable cinnamon bun.

This season, take the time to treat yourself to a fall favorite. You won’t regret it.