College men do No-Shave November

This November, things are gonna get hairy.

In recent years, No-Shave November has gained popularity among young males. While its origin is unclear, it has often been stated its purpose is to raise awareness for prostate cancer and other men’s health issues.

No-Shave November is unrelated to Movember, a similarly-minded event that focuses on growing a moustache. No-Shave November does not mess around with the ‘stache. Instead, participants in the month-long event forego a razor altogether for the month of November, letting all that facial hair grow wild and free.

Eastern Michigan University junior Tyler Sanford, who has participated in No-Shave November in the past, is uncertain as to whether his face will remain unshorn.

“I haven’t decided yet,” Sanford said. “It depends on how the weather goes. If it’s cold, I’ll probably do it.”

The movement could not happen at a better time. With winter well on its way, the extra protection from some face fluff could come in handy. After all, a scraggly beard in the colder months is a timeless—yet divisive—look.

EMU freshman Allicia Holderfield gave her opinion on facial hair.

“Some guys look good with it; some guys really don’t,” Holderfield said. “It really just varies depending on the guy.”

In recent years, the event has expanded to include even a few lady participants. There have been multiple Facebook pages and groups created to gather the hairy gentlemen and their lady counterparts into one corner of the online universe. Still, not everyone is aware of the relatively new tradition.

“Is it a Michigan thing?” asked Holderfield, an Ohio native.

But No-Shave November won’t remain underground much longer as more and more college-aged men (and a handful of women) forsake the razor for the month.

Austin McKibbin, a senior, is participating in No-Shave November this year.

“It’s nice to feel scruffy,” McKibbin said.