The Gregory Brothers to ‘Songify’ at EMU

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife and hide yo husband ‘cause the Gregory Brothers are coming to Eastern Michigan University. The musical group behind the YouTube sensation “Auto-Tune the News” will give a free presentation at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Student Center Grand Ballroom.

If you aren’t sure who the Gregory Brothers are, do a quick search of the Internet for the “Bed Intruder Song.” Unless you somehow managed to skip the year 2010, it should sound familiar. While they have already been successfully creating YouTube videos for their channel under the username “schmoyoho,” the release of the “Bed Intruder Song” brought the Gregory Brothers to the forefront of YouTube fame. The video has amassed over 100 million views and has even earned the group a gold record.

Since then, the group has continued to parody political news and “Songify” popular YouTube videos. The Gregory Brothers have also created a mobile app called “Songify” which lets you auto-tune yourself and others.

“We are excited about the Gregory Brothers coming. They’ve got pizzazz,” Campus Life Student Program Coordinator Bily Simmons said. “They’re inspiring, and they really speak to a college demographic.”

Simmons and Campus Life acknowledge that many EMU students have dreams of starting their own business or achieving success with what that they are passionate about—something that the Gregory Brothers are quite familiar with.

“We invited them because they are entertaining and energetic, and they can give direction to students looking for their own success,” Simmons said.

The Gregory Brothers, a musical group that formed in 2007 and actually consists of three brothers and one of their wives, will share with the audience how it is possible to become successful doing what they want to do.

“They do everything. They sing about cats, the news … They’ve had a
lot of success with their great ideas,” Simmons said.

Although it may seem like viral videos and Internet stardom happen suddenly and take the world by storm, that’s not quite the case.
“It doesn’t happen overnight. There is a lot that goes into it, which you don’t really see,” Simmons said.

The event will likely be a mix of speaking and performance, with a Q-and-A session afterwards.

“We are not really sure what to expect, but we are all excited,” Simmons said. “They have asked us to make sure there is a way for them to hook up their ukulele, so we can probably expect there will be some performance.”

During the days before the event, Campus Life is offering students a chance to win a poster autographed by the Gregory Brothers.

Anyone who changes their Facebook timeline cover photo to the event’s promotional banner (and informs Campus Life of the change) will be entered in a drawing. The winner will be picked randomly and announced during the event. Visit
www.facebook.com/EMUCampusLife to find the photo and enter the contest.

The Gregory Brothers’ event is open to the public. Campus Life encourages people to come to the Student Center early, as doors to the event will open at 6:45 p.m. Simmons said that there will likely be a line and seating is first come, first served.

To find out more information about the Gregory Brothers, you can
watch their videos online at www.youtube.com/schmoyoho. In addition to the “Bed Intruder Song,” their most popular videos include “Double Rainbow Song!!” and “Winning – A Song by Charlie Sheen.”