Wrestling loses to Golden Eagles

After the tough loss against Michigan State University at home, the Eastern Michigan University men’s wrestling team went on the road in the hopes of securing a win against the Clarion University Golden Eagles in their second dual meet of the season.

The Eagles won only three matches against the Golden Eagles resulting in a 21-10 defeat. EMU redshirt sophomores Jared Germaine and Jacob Dorulla and redshirt junior Phillip Joseph carried the team with their individual wins.

The loss brought EMU’s dual meet record to 0-2 and Clarion evened its season at 1-1. According to redshirt sophomore Mike Curby, the season has been a struggle so far.

“Losing last weekend to MSU and Clarion was tough because we beat both of those team last year,” Curby said. “I think we all believe we are more than capable of beating both of those teams this year.”

The afternoon was opened with Germaine and Clarion wrestler Tyler Fraley battling for a win at the 125-pound weight class. Germaine won by a major decision of 12-3, securing an undefeated dual season, 2-0. This brought EMU to 4-0 lead.

An unlucky streak fell upon the Eagles as Clarion took four consecutive wins. EMU wrestlers redshirt freshmen Vincent Pizzuto (133 pounds) and Justin Melick (149 pounds), redshirt junior Seth Schaner (141 pounds) and redshirt senior Aaron Sulzer (157 pounds)
all fell to the Golden Eagles with decisions.

Clarion led in team scores 15-3. EMU also lost a point due to unsportsmanlike conduct on the bench during the 157-pound weight class match.

Sulzer, currently ranked number 19 nationally, summed his match up to his mentality and pressure when he was defeated by number four ranked Clarion senior James Fleming.

“The wrestler from Clarion was a returning all-American, so he wrestles on another level,” Sulzer said. “I have to get to that point mentally.”

The Eagles picked up two more wins when Dorulla and Joesph stepped onto the mat. Dorulla tangled with Clarion wrestler Nick Milano to win by a decision of 7-3 at 165 pounds. After losing at the MSU duals, this was Dorulla’s first career dual meet win.

Curby relinquished a win when he took on Clarion wrestler Ryan Darch at 174 pounds. The first period went scoreless, but Curby received the first point with a quick escape after beginning the second period down.

Darch succeeded in using the same strategy opening the third period to tie the match. Darch got a takedown with Curby escaping to bring the match to a final 3-2 loss for Curby.

“I didn’t make enough attempts to win,” Curby said. “I am never going to consistently beat good guys by trying to score just one takedown.”

The EMU team score improved when Joseph sailed to a major decision at the 184-pound weight class against Clarion wrestler Steven Cressley. Joseph earned five points in the first period with a takedown and a near fall over Cressley.

With multiple takedowns, escapes, a finger in the eye from Cressley and his accumulated riding time, Joesph brought the match score to 18-5. The Eagles were still in the match with the team scores at 18-10, with Clarion in the lead.

Clarion triumphed when EMU redshirt junior Khodor Hoballah fell 6-4 in an overtime decision at 197 pounds. The meet was then brought to an end when the heavyweight bout went to Clarion as redshirt senior Chris Eggert fell with a 5-2 decision.

The Eagles traveled to Fargo, N.D. Nov. 24 to take on North Dakota State University, the University of Minnesota and Itasca Community College in the North Dakota State University Duals wishing to turn around their early dual meet season. They finished 2-1, defeating Itasca (57-0) and NDSU (18-17).

The Eagles will face Cleveland State University Nov. 30 at Bowen Field House at 7 p.m.