Concert helps fund ASB

Alternative Spring Breaks held a benefit concert, at the Bona Sera Café in Ypsilanti Monday, to help fund present and future Alternative Spring Breaks community service trips.

Attendants were asked to bring a canned food item. Everybody who came to the event was also allowed to vote for a non-profit organization. Ten percent of the $10 admission would go to whatever organization had the most votes. SafeHouse Center won the vote.

Alternative Spring Breaks began after Hurricane Andrew in 1991, and Eastern Michigan University is one of 11 schools that first organized it. The intention is to get students more involved in social issues such as food efficiency and environmentalism, and to educate them. It is based on community service and hopes to encourage students to volunteer and become more active members of society.

The live music was very entertaining. Performers included Katie & the Gang (made up of Katie Moser, Michael Bean, Dustin Baldwin and Dan Klarich) and Safe Drive Home (made up of Caiden Droscha and Jess Klein). There was plenty of cheering during the night, notably during Mary Larkin and Klein’s great cover of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean”
Droscha was satisfied with the turnout and said she was impressed with how many people showed up.