A touch of sparkle is an easy way to elevate an outfit.

Katie's Craft Corner: A touch of sparkle

For an unapologetic girly-girl like myself, I look forward to the gorgeous couture gowns at the Oscars. But afterward, I can’t help but feel a little blah for the average person. Occasions to wear something beautiful and glamorous may not come often, but luckily you don’t have to be Jennifer Lawrence or Emma Stone to wear an amazing one-of-a-kind accessory.

A little touch of sparkle is an easy way to elevate an outfit, and shoes offer the perfect place to go bold. Adding a gleaming silver heel to basic black pumps is an easy and affordable update to an item you probably already own, and for less than the cost of a new pair of shoes.

Pre-strung sequins (available in the trim aisle at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores or Michaels) are used here to jazz up simple heels, but you can also look for other sparkly notions you like.

Chunky rhinestones in different colors make a formal baroque statement on black heels, and tiny silver gems on blush-toned pumps are delicately pretty.

As a note, anything on a string is the easiest to wrap around the heel, but if you’ve got time and patience, individual gems look amazing. If you’re feeling truly ambitious, cover the entire shoe in sequins; it’s no harder than covering the heel and just requires more time and sequins (ruby red heels in time for the upcoming “Oz the Great and Powerful” movie, anyone?).

This project can work with flats too, as long as they’re made from plastic or faux leather. Try gluing on random gems in an all-over pattern, or carefully coating a rounded off portion of the toe in glue and rolling it in loose sequins or glitter. Or, trace the straps of sandals with strung gems, carefully clipping the strands near the sole.

For the three-inch heels pictured below, it took approximately two yards of strung sequins per shoe. I used the kind that’s a single strand (just rows of sequins on a stiff thread), not the wide stretchy trim.

Because heels also vary so greatly in width as well as height, the best way to get an accurate yardage is to bring one of the shoes with you to the store and see how many times the string wraps around. To get a really rough estimate, 1/2 yard of trim per inch of heel can be used as a guideline.

The method of attachment I used here was superglue, which (not to sound like your mom here) requires you be very, very careful. It is by far the best way to secure anything to typical plastic or faux leather shoe heels, making a perfectly clear, flat, invisible and extremely durable surface. If you’re like me, a first-time superglue user, here are a few pointers:

Protect your work surface: Use a piece of thick cardboard to cover the table and wear gloves, at least while attaching the nozzle to the bottle. If the stuff gets on your hands (or any other exposed skin), it’s almost impossible to get off (ask me how I know).

Buy gel superglue: I used regular, which unbeknownst to me, is very thin, watery and hard to use. The gel is just as durable, but is easier to work with because of its thicker texture.

For ease of use, squeeze a good amount of glue into a paper cup or other disposable tray, and use a toothpick to apply the glue.

The cost of this project is about $6, with superglue being under $2 and the sequin trim 99 cents per yard. Using a 40 percent off coupon on the trim, I was able to makeover a pair of shoes for less than $5, which is far cheaper than buying a new pair.

You’ll need:

A pair of shoes

Strung sequins

Superglue (gel recommended)

Project steps:

1. Using a damp paper towel, wipe down soles and heels of shoes to remove any dust or debris. Allow shoes to dry thoroughly. Using a toothpick, apply a small dot of glue on the back of the heel, about 1/8 inch from the floor.

2. Carefully press one end of the sequin string onto the glue dot and press hard for about 10 seconds. Wrap the sequin string around the heel, being careful not to leave gaps between rounds, dotting the back of the heel with glue as you go. Continue until you reach the top of the heel.

3. If your shoe’s heel continues up the back of the foot, apply glue at the edges of the heel back, and bend the strand back and forth to fill in the top. Clip strand close, and apply a small amount of glue to secure. Let dry several hours or overnight. If any loose strands or gaps are present, use more glue or individual drops of glue to repair.