Obama’s State of the Union addressed nothing

President Barack Obama has given the first State of the Union address of his second term. The State of the Union? We’re frakked.

The president discussed many topics plaguing the nation. Like the Xenos enemies of the Imperium of Man, the United States is beset by threats both from abroad and within. Gun control, education, immigration and the economy were all mentioned by Obama, some highlighted more than others.

For every problem, the president had a declaration on what was needed to solve it, albeit in general terms.

To cure the economy, Obama said the same thing he has been saying for years: America needs a middle class. This is very true. The middle class created modern America, and many believe it is a vital component to keeping America strong.

The president was just as frank about the deficit and federal spending, declaring the need for reform to solve problems like the ailing Medicare program.

Throughout the speech, the president declared things already mentioned or supposedly concerning his goals and ambitions for the future of the nation, the needs of Congress and the failings resulting from partisan bickering and a certain party’s out-of-date and poorly-envisioned plans.

That Obama said nothing new in his State of the Union address is not a problem. When the ship is sinking, you expect the captain to get on the bullhorn and shout, “Hey, we’re sinking! Man the lifeboats, send out a distress signal and save my poodle!”

The union address is really a call to arms. A finger wagged at those who have failed America. A damning accusation against the government and the people who either can’t or won’t work with their colleagues to solve the problems that beset America.

Be they government or private citizens, their failings were clearly outlined in the address. What needs to be done was laid out as well. The problem lies in actually doing it.

Not everyone agrees with the president’s positions and sentiments, and not everyone agrees on how to solve America’s problems. That’s okay, though, because the first step to solving any problem is admitting you have a problem.

“Hi everyone, I’m America. I’m a post-industrial former superpower with delusions of exceptionalism and world domination.”

“Hi, America.”

We know what the problems are. Solving them is the problem. Rather than both sides providing an answer and yelling at each other from each of the extremes like children, they need to take those ideas and find the middle ground.

And there just has to be a middle ground, here. We can have our immigrants and keep being closet racists. We can keep our guns and not have a random shooting every week. We can save the economy without bloating the government or sticking it to the needy.

Between any two extremes lies a middle ground. Obama has explained the problems, and we know where the extremes on both sides stand.

Finding the middle ground is the challenge. The prize is a better country and a better future. Get to it, America.