Cincinnati falls to EMU in game two

The Eastern Michigan University baseball team picked up its fifth win of the year in game two of its weekend set against the University of Cincinnati Bearcats Saturday. A combination of good pitching and a last-minute rally did just the trick for the Eagles.

With shortstop John Rubino batting just below the Mendoza line in the sixth slot of the lineup, left fielder Dae Bowden (2-for-6) came through with an RBI double in the seventh inning to make it a 1-1 ball game.

Senior pitcher Brian Hill started his third game of the year. After giving up an RBI single to Bearcat outfielder Justin Glass (4-for-5), the only other run Hill gave up was in the eighth after senior Joe Battistelli (1-2) came in to relieve for him.

The eighth started off with a single by Glass. After EMU’s pitching change, Battistelli let up a walk and an RBI single to freshman Jeff Murray (2-for-3) and an RBI fielder’s choice by designated hitter Woody Wallace (2-for-4), to give the Bearcats a 3-1 lead.

Trailing by the same score in the top of the ninth, the Eagles unleashed a six-run rally to take the win.

With a runner on second and third, a UC wild pitch and an RBI single by Bowden tied the score at three with no outs.

Sam Ott (2-for-5) found his way to second base after a single and a sacrifice bunt by designated hitter Lee Longo. Catcher Adam Sonabend was intentionally walked, which led to an RBI single by Jamie Simpson (2-for-3) to take the one-run lead.

Rubino brought in Ott from third on a sacrifice bunt and freshman Marquise Gill (1-for-2) came through with a two RBI single to give the Eagles a 7-3 victory.

The last opportunity runs gave Battistelli his first win of the year. He went two full innings, giving up one run on two hits, while striking out three.

Longo went hitless in this game and is now batting an even .300 average for the season. Sonabend is still the leader in that category with a .392 average with Ott (.333) and Simpson (.326) right behind.