Fashion options for St. Patrick’s Day

Tired of getting pinched every St. Patty’s Day? Here are a few ways to add a little green when March 17 rolls around this year.

Want to add a dash of green without clashing too much with a uniform? Wearing green nail polish can be a cute way to make an impression. If you’re the artsy type, try making one fingernail on each hand white and painting a little green shamrock in the middle.

Jewelry is another way to add some green to an outfit. If you have any emeralds, St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect time to show them off. Obviously, most college kids can’t afford to stock emeralds in their
jewelry drawer, so stop by the dollar store and drop a few bucks on festive beads instead.

Green socks may add a cute touch, especially if the unpredictable Michigan weather happens to be nice enough for you to wear a skirt or shorts. Argyle knee-high socks in shades of green or other Irish-flavored patterns paired with a skirt and tennis shoes make for a pleasantly quirky ensemble.

Bandanas are a trend that seems to be coming back strong, so why not get spirited and rock a green one? Roll it up from corner to corner and tie it around your head like a hairband. You can also wear it around your neck like a scarf.

If all else fails, Eastern Michigan University’s school colors are green, so you certainly have at least one green article of clothing lying around, even if it was some random T-shirt you got from an event back in freshman year that has made its home in the hopeless abyss that is your closet floor.

Also, don’t be afraid to be a little obnoxious. If you’re the type who goes all out for spirit week and doesn’t care what other people say about your crazy outfits, make every single article of clothing you wear a shade of green, paint your face, use that temporary hair dye stuff or whatever it takes.

This is one of the few days of the year when you as an adult can let your inner child pick out your outfit, even if that outfit includes bright green suspenders.

This St. Patty’s Day, stay safe and stay stylish.