Times columnist to speak about ‘big-time college sports’

The question as to whether or not college athletes should be paid has stirred up a great deal of controversy, especially in light of scandals at major universities such as Ohio State University, the University of Miami (Fla.) and other universities around the country.

Eastern Michigan University students will have the opportunity to hear about this topic and perhaps a way to fix the issue.

New York Times op-ed columnist Joe Nocera is coming to EMU on Tuesday to speak about a topic that has stirred up a fair bit of controversy around the country.

His talk, How to Fix Big-Time College Sports, promises to address these issues.

Nocera has been an op-ed columnist with the Times since 2011. In that time, he has written many columns on the problems plaguing the NCAA and college sports as a whole.

Nocera has, among other things, called for college athletes at big-time schools to be treated like any other student on its campus.

He even developed a plan to pay college football and men’s basketball players at major schools.

While these plans may benefit some athletes, this may raise the question to some, and I know it has to me: What about the other athletes in the other sports? What about women’s sports? What about mid-major and Division II schools?

The list goes on and on.

The university promises an “ample” Q-and-A period during the talk. I’m sure the aforementioned questions will start a very interesting discussion, but you won’t know about it unless you go.

The talk is scheduled for 5 p.m. in the Student Center auditorium, and refreshments will be provided beforehand.

For those of you still on the fence about whether or not to come, there is another incentive: The talk is approved for Learning Beyond the Classroom credit.