Wintertime is over... time for spring fashion

The break in our treacherous Michigan weather is right around the corner, which means it’s time for a change in wardrobes. Although outside it’s still really chilly, spring is upon us, and the sun has been shining brighter each day. There are some amazing trends to look forward to this season, and I’ll give the rundown on them with focus on things outside of actual apparel.

Having the perfect outfit is essential, and having the perfect hair is just as important. Ladies these days are all about “edge” and “ease” in their approach to styling their hair, which brings the wand curler back to the frontline of beauty. Wand curls are easy to do yourself and super cute whether you’re a girly girl or an edgy, street chick. Actresses Keri Washington and Rachel Bilson have both been spotted rocking loose coils on the red carpets this year.

Another hair trend that has not lost its steam is the ombré effect. Dip dyed hair is very chic and has been seen on Hollywood stars like Gwenyth Paltrow and Drew Barrymore. Remember the perfect look is one that is complete from top to bottom.

Another transition that the spring always brings is the reintroduction of color from the sky to the foliage, right into our closets. The hottest color of this season has definitely got to be mint. It’s a staple in all the fashion giant stores like Forever 21, Express and style up-and-comer JCPenney. No matter what type of clothing or accessories you decided to buy in mint, you’ll be guaranteed to catch everyone’s attention.

Right now it really doesn’t matter where you decide to go with color, just make sure you are seen this spring. One of my favorite stores to get nice quality clothes in bright hues is Gap. They’ve recently released an all-new colorway in their spring skimmer pants that are available in both khaki and denim for whatever the occasion.

Your footwear should be indicative of your personal style this spring and transition you into summer with ease. If you’re more of the comfy, casual type, then Minnetonka Moccasins can be your go-to shoe. Minnetonka has been making quality handmade American footwear since 1946.

If you are more of the diva, and the nightlife is what you live for, then the perfect pair of sandal heels are what you need. I’ve recently been infatuated with what I call the naked ankle strap sandal. With two small straps that go over your forefoot and ankle, showing off a well-pedicured foot has never been so sexy. For the best places to get your own pair of trendy spring sandals check out BCBG, Alexander Wang or Prabal Gurung for Target.

I don’t want my sporty girls to think I forgot about their needs, which is why I suggest to them the widely popular wedged sneaker which is now being sold by every major women’s shoe retailer. Designer Isabel Marant, who added three inches to the backs of a classic hightop sneaker silhouette, created the newest footwear trend. Check out Nike.com, Aldo stores or Skechers retailers to get your gravity defying sneakers today.

Following trends is important because it keeps you in the loop of what is current in the ever-changing fashion world, but don’t get it confused with personal style. Whether it be a totally original look or a mix of the newest “it” pieces, being noticed and appreciated for your style is only accomplished if you own it.