“For my capstone communication class [that] I need to graduate, I need to work with a nonprofit organization,” senior center Matt Balkema said. “I chose Mentor2Youth. They work with local kids with troubled backgrounds. I figured I love being around kids, I love being a role model type so I figured why not.”

Basketball game to raise charity money

While the Eastern Michigan University men’s basketball season is over and senior center Matt Balkema’s time with the team is done, he is still giving back off the court.

Balkema and Mentor2Youth, a local nonprofit organization, will be taking on the students it mentors in a basketball game fundraiser called “Ballin’ For Charity,” Saturday on the third floor courts at the Rec/IM from 12-2 p.m.

“For my capstone communication class [that] I need to graduate, I need to work with a nonprofit organization,” Balkema said. “I chose Mentor2Youth. They work with local kids with troubled backgrounds. I figured I love being around kids, I love being a role model type so I figured why not.”

Tickets are $5 in advance and $8 at the door, with advance tickets available in the VISION office on the third floor of the Student Center. All the funds will go towards field trips and school supplies for local youth.

Balkema said he hopes people come out and support the event.

“It’s for a good cause. There’s going to be tons of giveaways, the dance team will make an appearance and I think there’s going to be a guest speaker as well,” Balkema said.