US NEWS PARKS-GUNS 1 FR

EMU reports five cases of illegal weapons

Compared with national statistics, Eastern Michigan University reported a small number of confiscated firearms on campus.

According to EMU’s 2012 annual security report, there have been five reported cases of illegal weapons possession between 2009 and 2011 on campus. The number of weapons found on campus
has been increasing, with one case being reported in 2009, two in 2010 and three in 2011.

There is a rising trend in school violence across the U.S. plaguing all levels of education from grade schools to universities. Each new incident reported in the news not only affects the families and students, but the entire community. Despite many schools increasing security on campus, the number of gun-related crimes continues to rise.

In 2009, there were six confirmed mass shootings committed by concealed handgun permit holders involving three or more deaths.

A majority of the 4,300 colleges and universities in the U.S. prohibit the carrying of firearms on their campuses. EMU does not allow firearms anywhere on campus.

EMU policy states “Illegal Weapons Possession is defined as the violation of laws or ordinances prohibiting the manufacture, sale, purchase, transportation, possession, concealment or use of firearms, cutting instruments, explosives, incendiary devices or other deadly weapons. This classification encompasses weapons offenses that are regulatory in nature. Include in this classification: manufacture, sale or possession of deadly weapons; carrying deadly weapons, concealed or openly; using, manufacturing, etc., of silencers; furnishing deadly weapons to minors; aliens possessing deadly weapons; and attempts to commit any of the above.”

There is a positive response among students in regards to EMU’s Department of Public Safety.

“Good response time,” said Ashellee Thomas, an EMU sophomore.

Kerry Gould, a senior in the nursing program said, “The campus is very safe, although I wouldn’t go for a walk in the surrounding area. I always see campus police walking around and campus is very well lit.”

The EMU police force consists of two retired chiefs of police, a retired federal fish and game officer, two former Detroit police officers and several retired officers from the Ann Arbor Police Department, as well as other part-time officers.