Artists hand-picked for exhibit

The Ann Arbor Art Center is a non-profit organization that is devoted to the world of art ever since its creation over 90 years ago.

On Friday, May 17, the Center held the opening reception for its 31st exhibition entitled “The Print” which displayed work from local artists.

The exhibition featured the work of artists hand-picked by this year’s juror, Pamela Delaura, associate professor of print making of Wayne State University’s College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts. Each chosen piece was displayed in the second floor gallery, and five were chosen to receive awards presented at the reception that night. The featured work combined all aspects of print art, stretching the imagination and expressing an eloquent form of visual language.

Each featured artist in this year’s exhibition is a professional in their field and passionate about their work.

Rosemary Lee, retiree and full time print artist, was one of the featured works with her piece entitled “Letters Home.”

When asked how she felt about her work being displayed, Lee said, “I’m thrilled. This was an honor.” Her advice to aspiring artists everywhere was, “Even if you’re rejected, don’t give up.”

Delaura discussed the processes of selection that are involved in this type of exhibition, and some of the challenges she faced, like examining the entries for this exhibition using the social media platform “Flickr” to review the pieces, a testimonial to just how much technology has become a part of every aspect of life. She also based her final choices on the physical production and how well it was crafted, while looking at all of the components of each entry as a whole.

“Staying objective is important,” Delaura said. “Otherwise, the juror can tend to choose only artwork similar to their own.”
Five awards were presented to artists for recognition regarding their artwork.

Second honorable mention was awarded to Vicky VanAmeyden for her piece entitled “Thirteen Ways” while Janet Hamrick received first honorable mention for her work “Life of a Vine.” Third place price of $250 was given to Elle Rousseaux for his piece “10009” which was constructed of digital images, wax and rice paper inspired by an area in the East Village, New York City where the artist lived.

Cindi Fords’ work, “Trail of Thoughts,” placed in second, winning $500. This year’s “Best of Show (Janet Gallup Award)” award of $1,000 was given to Horea Georgescu for the inspiring work, “Silent Witness.”

Nathan Rice, coordinator of “The Print” exhibition said, “There are opportunities here for everyone, not just professional artists.”

The Ann Arbor Art Center offers a multitude of activities for all ages, In addition to exhibitions, there are summer camps for children and a Creative Social Club held the first Friday night of every month. It is even possible to rent out the gallery.

“The Print” exhibition will be running from May 17 through June 23. It is free and open to the public.