Siblings of those with disabilities show their pride

Siblings of all kinds will be gathering in Depot Town to proudly celebrate support for their brother or sister who has a disability.

Michigan Supporting and Including Brothers and Sisters are holding a meet-and-greet at Sidetracks Bar and Grill on Tuesday, June 25 at 6 p.m. The group’s mission is to provide support, information and resources for adult siblings in the disability community and promote leadership roles for those who share this sacred bond.

According to the MI SIBS website, siblings provide the most long-lasting relationships for adults with developmental disabilities. The event will provide a foundation for people to share stories and build a circle of support for their siblings while connecting with community allies.

The event will be put on by Eastern Michigan University student Sharon Nelson, who is currently earning her doctorate in psychology.

“Being the sibling of someone with a disability is such a unique situation, and it comes with its own sets of rewards and challenges, above and beyond what other family members, like parents, experience,” Nelson said. “Because of that, it’s important to support each other.”

Nelson has a personal investment in the program. Her youngest brother, Joe, has Down syndrome and has lived with Nelson for the last few years. Meet and greets serve to open up a community discussion about supporting the quality of life of a sibling with disabilities,

“It’s also a chance to network and meet other siblings,” Nelson said.

MI SIBS works to stay informed about issues that impact adult brothers and sisters of an individual with a disability and to connect with other siblings in Michigan. The group is currently organized through the ARC Western Wayne County. According to the goals displayed on their website, the group also offers peer support, facilitating connections with services and supports from those who have “been there,” and can enable a stronger and more fulfilling bond with a brother or a sister.

While the event is specified towards siblings of people with disabilities, all are welcome. To find out more about the event and what MI SIBS does, go to MISIBS.org.