Cross-country team sweeps Western

The Eastern Michigan University women’s cross country team finished first, second, and third Friday night at the George Dales Invitational in Three Rivers, Mich.

Senior Victoria Voronko, freshman Anna Aldrich and senior Kayla Pfund finished in the top three, leading the Eagles to a win over Western Michigan University.

“I think my team did a good job,” Voronko said. “The girls really worked hard this year and improved a lot. So, I think we are going to be really good this year.”

Voronko finished first with a time of 21 minutes 16.55 seconds for the Eagles first 6000-meter of the season. Aldrich and Pfund finished not too far behind with times of 22:34.49 and 22:39.76, taking second and third respectively.

Voronko said the running conditions were just right for a cross-country invitational.

“It was a little bit cold,” Voronko said. “That weather is good for long distance. I can’t complain.”

Voronko has finished first twice, led the Eagles in every race and already been named Mid-American Conference Player of the Week this season.

She has led all Eagles in every race run in the past two years. She is faster now than when she won the George Dales Invitational in 2011, when she finished with a time of 21:48.30.

The Eagles overall have been in a groove as well. EMU had an average time of 22:40.17 compared to the Broncos average time of 23:36.91. The Eagles had seven runners place within the top 10 and won the invitational with 18 total points.

Freshman Anna Quilez-Ribera, sophomore Amy Frauhammer, junior Marina Manjon Rivadulla, and sophomore Rebecca Quaintance finished in the top ten for the Eagles.

Voronko said she thought her team ran a fast 6000-meter run, and that her head coach, Sue Parks, is happy about how the season has been going so far.

“She is very supportive,” Voronko said. “I really like that she is my coach, but we are both aware that we have a lot of work to do.”

Looking Ahead:

The next Eagles race won’t be until Oct. 4 when the team travels to South Bend, Ind. for the Notre Dame Invitational.