Freshmen reflect on first week of classes

New freedom, homesickness and weather at front of students’ minds

The freshmen at Eastern Michigan University just finished their first week of studies, and said the receptive atmosphere assisted with their transitioning into collegiate scholars.

The 2013 freshman class is the largest in EMU’s history. Although the exact enrollment numbers still haven’t been confirmed, they have already surpassed the previous record of 2,854 new students set in 1999.

Daveon Hayes is an undecided freshman from Detroit, and said his college career started off with a very smooth start.

“The first week went really great, all my professors were very approachable and I like my classes,” he said. “The campus is a great fit for me too, there’s a lot to do and the people around here are welcoming for sure.”

Hayes said his main goal for freshman year is to keep up with his studies, because some of his classes could be a challenge.
“It is definitely a step up from high school,” he said.

Honors College student Courtney DeCamillo wants to study dietetics and appreciates the friendly aura of EMU, she said.

“Everyone is so approachable and easy to talk to,” she said. “I have already made some good friends, and I’m looking forward to this semester a lot.”

Her first stint at EMU has brought out an array of emotions, DeCamillo said.

“I think college has been one of the most frightening yet freeing experiences of my life,” she said.

Zakesha McGee from Flint wants to study mass communications. She said the change in lifestyle is very refreshing in comparison with high school.

“I was so ready to get out of the house and I love this college life,” she said. “I just like living on my own and providing for myself.”

McGee said the beginning of the school week was very fast paced.
“The first day of class I was excited and wanted to see what EMU had to offer,” she said. “The whole campus seemed excited and energetic. It was really crowded.”

However, letting go of the comforts of home has not been easy for everyone.

Biology major Amber Wise had a difficult time making the transition into an independent college student.

“It’s been an experience I was never exposed to before,” she said. “I never went to summer camp or anything like that growing up and it was a bit rough at the start after I was dropped off. I have definitely been feeling a bit homesick.”

But, Wise still has ambition to achieve her academic and personal goals as an Eagle, she said.

“I think it will get better, and I am really looking forward to some of the new experiences,” she said. “It’ll be worth it.”
The sweltering temperature was noticeable to everyone on campus, and some new students said they were ready for the hoodie weather of fall.

Alexys Henry intends to study biology and said she is completely done with the summer season.

“Bring on the winter,” she said. “I brought enough cold clothes to survive in Alaska, so I’m all set with this heat.”
Taylor Valeriote wants to study psychology and agreed the heat wave was unwelcome.

“Do you know how hot those dorms are?” she said. “We have four fans running right now in our room.”

There were also some pleasant surprises, Valeriote said.
“There aren’t as big of classes as I was expecting for being a university,” she said. “I like having more attention on the students.”

Lauren Dunlop, a teaching major, is taking 13 credit hours her first semester. She said the campus demeanor was very pleasant, a sentiment echoed by every freshman interviewed.

“The first day was a bit nerve-wracking,” she said. “I was trying to find classes and figure everything out, but everyone was so nice and friendly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought.”